Export to MID : instrument by instrument ?

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), October 28, 2014, 15:02:04

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Would be nice to be able to export a song to .mid (to be able to provide score for live musicians/orchestra conductor) with the ability to do it "instrument by instrument" (in addition to "track by track" by muting unwanted ones)

Thus, export wouldn't merge notes from same tracks, as it already does, BUT only from a same selected instrument in a track.

Not sure I'm clear enough :-D

LPChip

OpenMPT is not a midi editor. To export to midi, save as xm, and use a tool such as xm2mid to convert the song.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

First off, it's called 2MIDI, not XM2MID, and it happily accepts S3M/IT too. Second, yes, it's not a MIDI editor, but OpenMPT is also not a wave editor and still allows to export your modules to WAV - puzzling, huh? *
On a more serious note, MIDI export has dozens of things which can be improved, but none of them are a priority for me, so don't expect any improvements on this field to happen unless someone else is up for it. What you could try, though, is looking if there are VST plugins out there which act as a MIDI recorder. There are WAV recorders (which simply bounce the audio that's fed into the plugin to a WAV file), so I'd be surprised if a similar thing didn't exist for MIDI. That way, you'd get a much more accurate result than OpenMPT's MIDI export can provide, and since it would still work when using OpenMPT's WAV export, you could export it instrument by instrument automatically (and then just delete the generated WAV files).

* The "problematic" kind of users are those who use to load OpenMPT to "convert it to MP3", or who load a MIDI in OpenMPT, modify it and then save it again as MIDI. Exporting your module as a MIDI file, on the other hand, has many legitimate reasons. One of them could be providing stems to other producers for remixing your song.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Yes, indeed, I know 2MIDI quite well, I used to use it when working on Nintendo DS games, years ago.

Then, one more question : I remember "Octamed", the old Amiga MIDI tracker I was using for videogames like "Fade to Black" or "Moto Racer", during the 90's, provided real score display (as a Sibelius, for instance).

I think it could be very usefull to have the same thing on OpenMPT, for chosen selected track(s) and/or chosen instruments, even with the possibility to print it, instead of midi perfect export...

Saga Musix

Uuuuh, is it "impossible to implement" feature wish day today? ;D  That is even less likely to be implemented, doing a proper score from tracked music is simply way too complex. Going through MIDI and then using some external software would be way better.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

If we are on that topic, how about add an import/export for fruity loops? :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

One last insisting question about the MIDI export :-D

When you export a song "as wave", you have the choice to do it  "track by track" and "instrument by instrument".

It would just be great to have this option in MIDI export (the "instrument by intrument" option), to make some instruments by instruments midi scores files to give to a copyist for a real orchestra performance

Maybe some day :-D...

Saga Musix

Yes, I'm fully aware that this would be a nice option, but I hope you realize it's a bit more work than just adding two check boxes. This MIDI code has not been touched in 10+ years.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Sure...You're already doing a great job, OpenMPT is the best tracker so far, from my point of view...