An question abut Envelope Carry.

Started by FreezeFlame(Alchemy), October 25, 2014, 08:56:45

Previous topic - Next topic

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Last time i tried this rather nice feature of ITs module format, i noticed that it does have an little flaw.
If you have an instrument with already mapped samples, and try to create an duplicate one using Envelope Carry (for imitating an accurate Panbrello effect), it will play properly on OpenMPT (current version of testing is 1.23.05.00). But if i play the IT file on XMPlay, the Envelope Carry is ignored on the duplicate instrument.

I have activated all of OpenMPTs compatibility features, and it plays the duplicate instruments envelope carry without fail.
XMPlay is an rather accurate player, but this might also be some weird compatibility glitch. Or is the behavior the same in Impulse Tracker?

Can't upload the module, since i deleted it during some hard drive cleaning, and it was somewhat big (more then 1MB).
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Saga Musix

Impulse Tracker itself is inconsistent here and behaves differently depending on whether you use the SoundBlaster driver or WAV writer. IIRC XMPlay follows the SB driver for volume/pan envelopes and the WAV driver otherwise, while OpenMPT follows the WAV driver in all cases. Basically, the difference between the two drivers is that envelope carry does always work in one, while it only works if the NNA is not set to "Note Cut" in the other. Maybe your second instrument uses "Note Cut" as an NNA action?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

I think that XMPlay used the SB driver example, if i understood everything you wrote.
And no, the module didn't used Note Cut NNA commands, but only Note Offs. That XMplay intepreted it like that is an suprise.

Saga Musix

Quote from: FreezeFlame(Alchemy) on October 25, 2014, 20:02:50
And no, the module didn't used Note Cut NNA commands
Note that I am not talking about pattern commands, but about the NNA note action in the instrument settings - Note Cut is the default, so it would be very likely that you didn't change it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

My bad.
I meanth the Instrument settings in my early post.

Saga Musix

Well, then you will have to dig up an example to have a look at, otherwise I cannot determine whether OpenMPT does it right or not.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

No need to bother about it, since you explained clearly how XMPlay and Impulse Tracker behave with this Envelope Carry (maybe XMPlay accidently used the SB driver example).
And about the digging up one, i have tested it on alot of IT modules and the behavior is normal (playback in XMPlay and OpenMPT is the same).
If i find something strange, i'll mention it later.

Saga Musix

Quote from: FreezeFlame(Alchemy) on October 26, 2014, 22:56:01
maxbe XMPlay accidently used the SB driver example
No, it most definitely is not "by accident". XMPlay used to follow the SB driver's behaviour consistently (which makes sense, since the WAV writer is no the canocial way of listening to modules, especially since the stereo WAV writer was not free), until it was "fixed" to use the WAV writer behaviour for the filter envelope for playing a module made in Schism Tracker correctly. I think it's been inconsistent since then, but since both behaviours are fine, there's nothing really wrong about that, I think. Just don't use NNA = Note Cut with envelope carry and you're on the safe side.