[OT] Speculate next Age

Started by LPChip, May 02, 2006, 07:50:57

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

From time to time, area's in time are being defined by ages.

We've had the ice age, stone age, bronze age, industrial age and today, we live in the digital age.

This is a nice knowledge, but now comes the point of discussion :)

I was wondering what the next age will be... That means that in the future, some major changes are going to happen that are so common that it is being defined in a new age.

In order to come to a nice conclusion, the first thing we should think about is what the new inventions will be that are going to happen. Then we'll find the common grounds on those and see if we can resamble it as being an age.

Who knows some inventions that might going to happen soon?

and once we have some inventions, what might follow up to that?

example:

new invention: cirgury to make you get older by stopping cellular decay.
new invention based on above: cirgury procedure to stop the aging process
new invention based on above: cirgury procedure to make you younger by changing DNA

Could be the youth age :)

Who gives the first shot?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

MisterX

I believe that the current "age" is known as the "Information Age".

The next age will probably be the "Exploration Age" after a breakthrough in space travel.  (One could always hope...)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

speed-goddamn-focus

the next age is probably the post apocalyptic age.

LPChip

Can both of you clearify why you think that will happen? Possibly with a reasoning of steps (inventions) that will take place and perhaps a small story line to why it is?

That makes responding (discussion thingy) more easy :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Why? It's in human nature, WW3 is inevitable. Energy will run out, with that comes depression and people will democratically elect whom ever is the best at putting the blame on someone else. Then the war will come, and most of us will die. If we're lucky, it won't be in our lifetime. Then again, the end of the world will be a pretty significant historical event, so perhaps it's nice to be there.

georg

The next age is the age of Reason.

Our society can not exist much longer without finally dealing with causes and consequences of taboos, organised religion, haphazard economics, short-sighted policies and other syptoms of repression of freedom, esp. intelectual freedom.

This will be a slow process but an inevitable one. It will really be Think or Die.

Speaking of thinking, there is one thing i've been thinking about and if anyone else feels like suddenly not giving a crap about world affairs and how important those bean-chairs are, i'd like to join them in the Next Millenium Society Of Indulging In *ussy. Tell a friend.
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

tvdude

I think the next age will be the Bio Commerce Age.  In other otherwords, instead of using bank cards, credit cards or other plastic cards to purchase items (paper money is already on the way out), people will either be A).  Scanned with a device that determines you are who you say you are from your vital statistics, and this scanner will be linked to your personal bank accounts, insurance coverage, medical health information....all your personal information, or B).  we will have either a microchip implant or a bar code tattoo that allows a scanner to access all of the above mentioned items.  No more unidentified bodies in the river, no more missing people (thanks to the Global Positioning System all ready in place for hand held devices)...instant alert of medical crisis if your body ceases to function...and last but not least....big corporations will use biometrics to feed advertising directly into our heads.....who needs television to induce a craving for a creamy hot fudge sunday...let's just zap the idea directly into the masses.....which will of course lead to the Exploration Age as rebels try to find a new planet free of corporations....and this will inturn lead to armageddon.....and the Post Apocalyptic Age.  But...no matter what age, era, or corporate agenda....there will always be Trackers!
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

Matt Hartman

There's signs that we are headed into the age of enlightenment and global consciousness.

I see this emerging in medicine and in people coming into consciousness that hate is far more costly than love.

The information society is breeding a new mind skin over the Earth and inevitably over the Universes. (yes there are more than we can count) This will take on a life of its own and become an point of energy just like you and me.

We will begin to shed our egos (lower chakra)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakra

and realize that even though we appear to be different on the outside, we are actually the same soul divided into many parts. Think of cell division.

We will begin to "see" the energy that flows in between the spaces (think Van Gogh's "Starry Night" ) and realize that our soul's are actually outside of our bodies rather than previously assumed that they are contained inside our body.

We will also learn that each one of our cells in our body carries as much consciousness as our brains.

We will also learn that we were designed to live much much longer than the current life expectancy rate. But because our diet is ridden with problems and our atmosphere is layered in chemicals our cells give up the regeneration process prematurely.

If you have a hard time with that one, read the Bible (if that's your thing).
Moses was like 500 years old before he died, or something like that. That was only 2500 years ago.  :?:

Of course, I've been known to be a HobKnobber, so don't take my word for it.   :wink:

Research, you will see.  :idea:

I don't know how soon this will come into existence, but I give it about 20-50 years.
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

Matt Hartman

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"Why? It's in human nature, WW3 is inevitable. Energy will run out, with that comes depression and people will democratically elect whom ever is the best at putting the blame on someone else. Then the war will come, and most of us will die. If we're lucky, it won't be in our lifetime. Then again, the end of the world will be a pretty significant historical event, so perhaps it's nice to be there.

Sounds bleak. And I don't doubt it.

Here's our cycle.

Love - Hate -Love.

If we are in a time of Hate (which could very possibly be keeping in mind a span of 2500 years can be an "age" ) we will swing back to love eventually. Like new growth after the fire.

Without the two polarities; Love - Fear. (Hate is an extension of Fear)
It would be very difficult to experience in full what we know about ourselves. If we cannot experience ourselves, our knowledge is JUST knowledge, and then existence would stop.

We need to constantly think ourselves anew, then live that out by experiencing it. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it is not. That's what makes experience rich and completes the equation of knowledge.

Tracker or Bust.

rewbs

Quote from: "Matt Hartman"and realize that our soul's are actually outside of our bodies rather than previously assumed that they are contained inside our body.
[...]
We will also learn that we were designed to live much much longer than the current life expectancy rate.
I wonder what kind of individual would be prepared to sacrifice scrumptiously evil food, alcohol, awesome chemicals and generally pleasant unhealthy living in favour of a longer life, given that they will aware that the essence of their being is independent of their physical body anyway... :D

Matt Hartman

Quote from: "rewbs"
Quote from: "Matt Hartman"and realize that our soul's are actually outside of our bodies rather than previously assumed that they are contained inside our body.
[...]
We will also learn that we were designed to live much much longer than the current life expectancy rate.
I wonder what kind of individual would be prepared to sacrifice scrumptiously evil food, alcohol, awesome chemicals and generally pleasant unhealthy living in favour of a longer life, given that they will aware that the essence of their being is independent of their physical body anyway... :D

Heh.

Well, one that would need a good body to enjoy the full breath of experience dear Watson.

Matt Hartman

Also,

Everything you listed is a vise. We were born without them and we can surely exist without them.

There's a wealth of information out there that proves that these vises are slowing our bodies and causing not only epidemic disease, but a host of emotional conditions as well which only conflicts the situation even greater.

I don't want to live forever and the thought of living 500 years isn't something I enjoy. The fact is you need an exit at some point. Or in other words, somethings gonna' kill ya sooner or later and that's totally valid.

But that shouldn't be a logical excuse to poison ones self. Life takes care of life. We have been arrogant to beleive that we take care of it.

How so? We can't even seem to take care of planet let alone ourselves.

But that may change. And all those vises will seem really small and insignificant in comparison.

Just a hunch.

rewbs

Quote from: "Matt Hartman"
[...]

Heh.

Well, one that would need a good body to enjoy the full breath of experience dear Watson.

Oh, the paradox.

georg

Quote from: "Matt Hartman"
[...]

Heh.

Oh, the paradox.

I'm yet to meet an old person, near their expiry date, who doesn't have that "What was it all for anyway?" vibe. I'd like to criticise but then i think to myself: "You try being 88 and dying and positive."
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

Sam_Zen

I would call this age the electric age.