[classical] The Uncanny Valley (solo piano)

Started by uncloned, October 15, 2014, 12:48:32

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

dandwz

Nice stuff, very interesting sound textures indeed!  Can you explain us a little more about the composition?  I'm not sure if I'm understanding right about the tuning system, but is it tuned giving consonant priority to the odd partials??  As I understand it that will lead to have the lower notes more similar to the equal temperament but the higher ones differing too much with it. 

Can you tell us something about the graphics that you're displaying along with the music and how does it relate to the composition?? 

uncloned

Well, the harmonic series, by definition, would be considered consonant in most instances, though the higher up you go the the note spacing, as you noted, becomes closer, and the relationship more foreign to ears accustomed to equal temperament. Only odd members are used because the evens are all octaves of the root note of the series and I wanted to maximize the number of different notes.

The way the graphic fits with the composition is that people rarely use the raw harmonic series like I did. This piece started as a challenge to myself to see if I could make something musical from a difficult set of notes. During the course of playing the improvisation I found an "uncanny" spot that acted harmonically much like 12 equal but was actually built out of different relationships.

You do have a basic grasp of how the harmonic series works musically. This graphic and link below might help visualize / understand more about the harmonic series.

http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/The+Prime+Harmonic+Series

dandwz

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and the images to illustrate it.  I must say that today I learned something new.  Hope to hear more work from you.

uncloned