Looking for a new soundcard

Started by LPChip, August 12, 2014, 10:11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I am using an old Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro, and its a great card for what I use, but its also old. Drivers do not natively come for the new OS's featuring the things I need, so looking into the future, I'm considering to buy a new card even though this one still works.

I have a few requirements though. So before listing them, do you know a soundcard that meets all these requirements?
- Soundcard must support 7.1 surround
- Soundcard must have an EQ where I can set 6 or more bands.
- Must be possible to save EQ presets so I can recall different presets.
- Must be possible to map channels, to turn stereo into surround.
- Card preferably has optical-input (if i hasn't its not a dealbreaker)
- Card must have ASIO capabilities.
- Card must have drivers for windows 8.1

I would prefer posting based on experience with the card rather than searching, but if you find something interesting, please add that you do not have personal experience with the card.

Card does not have to be PCI or PCI-express. It can be a USB card.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Diamond

Yeah now that you mention it, me too.  Although in my case, multichannel capability and native ASIO support is sufficient.  Creative ASIO support is buggy at best.

LPChip

I have no problems with creative ASIO at all. So I don't agree on that part.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Diamond

For the most part I haven't either.  However, over the years I have experienced problems with Creative ASIO when trying to use multiple channels in different applications.  When I switched over to the 64 bit edition of 7, I also began having a problem with stereo phasing.  That was with my Audigy 4.  More recently, I purchased a new machine and I installed an Audigy 5/Rx.  The stereo phasing issues are gone, however the problems with using multiple channels with certain applications like Virtual DJ are even worse now.  Obviously your experience with Creative ASIO has been fairly positive, while my own has been only average.

LPChip

The only issue I came into it, is if multiple programs use ASIO at the same time, and the playback frequency is not the same in each application, they start a fight. Then again, Creative is one of the few where you can have multiple programs using ASIO at the same time.

Diamond

I don't think I would rely on it for general use, but I was considering this
http://www.amazon.com/Numark-DJ-Multi-Channel-Interface/dp/B000S5Q2EK
at least for my DJing needs.