Keybinding Problem OpenMPT 1.23.04.00 32 bit

Started by Baycun, July 19, 2014, 20:01:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Baycun

Hey, I'm new here but I'm having a problem with OpenMPT that's pretty confusing and I don't know how to fix it at all. It seems like every time I import someone else's .it, not only do I import their song, but also their keybinding. It's pretty frustrating because I want to use one keybinding the whole time, but whenever I open an .it by say, coda, the step is 64, and effect commands aren't allowed to be put in like I want. It's pretty frustrating and I can't really use OpenMPT until I can get the keybinding back to the one I want to use. So please, any help would be super appreciated.

Saga Musix

No, there is no way in which OpenMPT could secretly import someone else's keybindings. They aren't stored in module files. However, every format uses a different set of effects (if they didn't, there wouldn't be much point in having more than one format), and with those different effects come different effect letters. IT and S3M use a set of effect letters that's different from the MOD / XM set. OpenMPT adheres to the original effect letters to make it easy for people using different applications to switch - so that someone who has e.g. previously written MOD files in ProTracker can continue doing so in OpenMPT without having to re-learn the effects, and someone who has previously used Schism Tracker to create ITs can keep using the letters they're used to as well. If you want to use IT files, you will have to learn a new set of effects, I'm afraid.
You may also notice that when creating a new file that it keeps using the same format as the currently active file, so if you have an S3M file open and hit Ctrl+N, the newly created file will also be in the S3M format. If you always want to start modules using the same default  format, you can set the hidden setting DefaultModType.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Baycun

I think you misunderstood my question. I already know the .it effect commands, I've learned them fairly well. What I'm asking is why when I updated to the latest version of OpenMPT, the keybinding I use isn't letting me put in note effects with the keyboard, or why I can't even switch to that keybinding anymore. It worked on the last version and I just recently started having this problem once I got 1.23. I just want to use OpenMPT's pattern editor like milkytracker, that's it really, but I don't understand how to get my keybinding to switch back to something I can use, if I need to format the name of the keybinding differently or import the keys differently or something I'll do it, but I'm really not sure why this started happening pretty soon after I got the latest version and not before.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Baycun on July 19, 2014, 22:06:25
What I'm asking is why when I updated to the latest version of OpenMPT, the keybinding I use isn't letting me put in note effects with the keyboard, or why I can't even switch to that keybinding anymore.
Do you happen to have more that one Windows keyboard layout activated? That's the only thing related to recent changes I can imagine to interfer with effect keys, since effect keys are not part of the keyboard layout but rather created dynamically from their keyboard position.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

stinkbug pointed out on IRC that effect letters stop working [until you switch to a module of a different format] after loading a keybinding file. Maybe this is what you experienced.