Where can I find PC-88 style samples?

Started by someoneman, July 16, 2014, 02:28:31

Previous topic - Next topic

someoneman

Could anybody help me find some PC-88 style chiptune samples?
I want to make music in the style of the Etrian Odyssey series of games. Here is an example of the style of music I want to make.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Nice music :).

I don't know where you can get such kind of samples beside creating them with an FM synthesis VST instrument.
Maybe there are some samples resembling the ones used in that video in the sample sites topic. http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=174.0
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

someoneman

Quote from: FreezeFlame(Alchemy) on July 16, 2014, 10:14:27
Nice music :).

I don't know where you can get such kind of samples beside creating them with an FM synthesis VST instrument.
Maybe there are some samples resembling the ones used in that video in the sample sites topic. http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=174.0
I tried looking at the samples thread, but there's so much stuff there I'm not sure if I'll ever find it.
As for creating them myself, I'm new to this so how I don't know how to do that.

Saga Musix

Sounds like a typical FM and PCM combination. For FM, you can try the VOPM plugin (but beware, it's kinda unstable), or JuceOPL. Both plugins are not emulations of the exact type of FM sound chip listed on Wikipedia, but they are very close and generally you can create the same kinds of sounds with them.
For the drum PCM samples, you may want to use some (possibly downsampled) classic drum machine sounds, such as those from the Roland R8, or maybe the Korg M1. A good start for those would be kb6. Keep in mind that samples/plugins are only one part of the work, style is the other half!

Etrian Odyssey was never released for such old computers though, was it? So beware, while the Wikipedia page says that it has "FM-like music", it doesn't mean that the author stricticly followed the limitations of an oldskool system. The music could just as well come from a Sega console, or from a regular Personal Computer.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.