High-Pitched Sound for all samples since 1.23.01.00

Started by I-S3-O, April 16, 2014, 07:32:42

Previous topic - Next topic

I-S3-O

Hello, ModPlug Developers!

I have a problem with the player. Before the newest update, all of my songs worked fine. They were saved in the .it format, and played perfectly. However, now when I open up my projects to play them, I get nothing but a high-pitched beep...for everything. All my sample play just like that, even the bass sounds!

On top of that, I'm not sure if your Play Sample button in the Sample tab is working properly because when I pressed it again to turn off the sound, it kept playing, and the panic button didn't turn it off either.

Can you help me with this? I checked one post about the frequencies mix-up, which I tried, and all that did was remove the high-pitched sound, but not restore the rest of the samples. Now everything is silent. Also, I switched back to the .mptm format, since I read that the .it format is still experimental, or something like that.

UPDATE:
After playing some of my other songs, I've found that some of them do work, while others don't. I still don't see the correlation to the working and non-working ones, however.

Saga Musix

I can only make random guesses - What are your current sound device settings (driver type, latency, etc..)? try increasing the sound device's latency, or try picking a different sound driver. The sound drivers can be petty much the only reason causing this, not the mixer. Are you using any plugins in your songs?

QuoteAlso, I switched back to the .mptm format, since I read that the .it format is still experimental, or something like that.
Eh? If you read anything like that everywhere, please tell me where you found it so I can kill it with fire. The IT format has been around for 20 years, it can hardly be considered experimental. MPTM is just a hack on top of IT, internally the two formats are treated exactly identically.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Try the following: Go to the OpenMPT Setup, Mixer tab, and set the bandwidth to a value of 97% or less.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

I-S3-O

I've tried disabling all my plugins and lowering the bandwidth, but nothing works. Could I just give you the song, and you can tell me what's going on?

sso

Saga Musix

Quote from: sso on April 16, 2014, 19:50:47
what is that bandwidth stuff?
It would be cool if OpenMPT had a manual to look these kind of things up... :(

Quote from: MusicalTech on April 16, 2014, 19:48:55
I've tried disabling all my plugins and lowering the bandwidth, but nothing works. Could I just give you the song, and you can tell me what's going on?

Keep the bandwidth at 97%, don't lower it. You can upload the tune but I heavily doubt that the tune itself is the culprit here. It most probably has something to do with the device settings. Telling us which was the previous version of OpenMPT you used and what your sound device settings are would already help.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

I-S3-O

Oh, I'm sorry, I can't remember. It just automatically updated. Is there any way I can find out after an update has been installed?

Also, thank you for the bandwidth thing. I'll put that back immediately. I'll also check for what my drivers are and post them in an update.

UPDATE:
I'm not sure where you wanted me to check for driver information, mainly because I don't see a clear widget or choice box asking for it in the program, but if you're talking about my sound device, I'm just using my basic Realtek High Definition Speakers. In my system tray I looked at those speakers' properties, and played with its default format. I used the following:
16 bit, 41000 Hz: nothing
16 bit, 48000 Hz: nothing
24 bit, 41000 Hz: nothing
24 bit, 48000 Hz: nothing

Was I supposed to do something else? I'm sorry. I'm not sure of where to look for the driver information.

Saga Musix

QuoteIs there any way I can find out after an update has been installed?
No, but it would be good to know whether it was a version prior to 1.22.

For clarification, I mean the driver that is selected in OpenMPT, not any driver versions from your Windows control panel or whatever.

You may also want to try renaming your mptrack.ini to something else in order to see if a complete reset of the OpenMPT configuration helps.

I-S3-O

Well, I believe I was using the most recent version right before the update, but I'm not entirely sure. I've used the program within the last month, if that helps at all.

As for the renaming .ini, that didn't work, and are you referring to the SoundCard in OpenMPT, or some other tab in Settings because I still can't see anything asking for driver information in here, and I checked the manual. I don't see any immediate topics discussing drivers.

Saga Musix

Yes, the soundcard tab. There are various drivers available depending on your system, each denoted with a different icon (Wave Out with yellow speaker, ASIO, WASAPI, WDM-KS and DirectSound in that order). Try going through all the different kind of drivers.

I-S3-O

Oh, in that case, I have. Nothing changed between them.

Saga Musix

Maybe it's time to upload an example track then.

I-S3-O

LPChip

I noticed that the C-7-03 on channel 11: Blip Sin has a high pitch that doesn't fade out. It may be that this is what you hear. If not, can you still check that the bandwidth is set to 97%, and not higher? You find this setting in the Settings->Mixer tab on the top right.

Also, if its possible, can you record one pattern to wav and play it in a player outside of OpenMPT. If it sounds the same, upload it to the internet for us, and if not, tell us that it doesn't sound the same?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on April 17, 2014, 10:20:32
If not, can you still check that the bandwidth is set to 97%, and not higher?
Even if it's higher, it won't cause a high beep or anything. It will just make the sound rougher at 100%. It isn't possible to enter higher values anymore, so the bugs associated with that are already gone.
And yes, a recording of what you actually here would be useful, since the song sounds identical in 1.22 and 1.23 here.