What kinds of XMS files do exist?

Started by FreezeFlame(Alchemy), April 12, 2014, 18:03:18

Previous topic - Next topic

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Long story short, i was trying to use an MOD,S3M,XM to SPC (called XMSNES) converter for the heck of it (and to get an idea how SNES music can be done).

Got in the end more or less an XMS file with another file named ' temp.a '.
While searching on the internet, i found not much to explain what that XMS file means.
This is so far what i found documented about XMS files.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Memory_Specification#eXtended_Memory_Specification_.28XMS.29

Do you know of anything about XMS files that contain music data and how they can be read?
Included those two files with this post, for any case :).
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Saga Musix

This certainly has absolutely nothing to do with XMS memory.
By looking at the actual command line output of that program, it seems like XMS would be an intermediate format, i.e. you first convert your module to XMS, and then run that resulting file through xm2snes to get an SPC file:

QuoteInput can be mod/s3m/xm/xms/txt/spc.
XMS as input will make spc file.
TXT as input will be treated as package script.
SPC as input can be used to change the header.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteThis certainly has absolutely nothing to do with XMS memory.
Good to know :).
Quote, i.e. you first convert your module to XMS, and then run that resulting file through xm2snes to get an SPC file:
Wish it worked for me :(.

And i tried what you recommended, and drag and dropped my XMS file (that was converted by the same programm) in the programm (XMSNES) and no dice. Nothing comes out of it. Once, an temp.a file came out once, and that was it. Sorry for burdering you with my crappy problems.

Saga Musix

Just a hint, it may be more helpful to ask the software author directly rather than asking other people in other places which are less likely to have used that program.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteJust a hint, it may be more helpful to ask the software author directly rather than asking other people in other places which are less likely to have used that program.
I know. Plus, that programm is supposed to be buggy anyway. And there are nearly no documentations of how to use it (only some sides and one forum, and thats it).

Found an better tool for converting module files (IT's) to SNES music format (SPC) called SNESMOD.
http://mukunda.com/projects.html
Much less buggy, but more limited. Atleast it works in the converting case.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

I figured that this program (xm2snes) detests OpenMPT made XM files ( don't know why, but it results in an crash while converting, even if the file was Compatibility Exported), while it accepts MilkyTracker made files and converts them properly without any crashes :(.

Just wanted to point out, since this program is free abandonware (and badly documented) and is one of two options (the other being snesmod) for making SPC files out of module files.

Saga Musix

Without looking at the tool, it probably expects the order list size to be 256, which a few badly written tools assume but which is not a necessity. Tough luck, but I'm not going to change that. If you really need to use this tool, resave your XM files in something that always saves 256 order list items (e.g. Milky or FT2).