OpenMPT Bugs

Started by Alexandr TEHb, March 25, 2014, 11:02:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandr TEHb

Hello, respected SourceForge.
I apologise, but I do not know English language, therefore I use the electronic translator.
I work in MPT about 10 years. I thank you for this project.
Sometimes thoughts on the editor come and has decided to write...
At me version 1.22.07.00.

At first about the found errors.
1) If to remove the instrument with all samples, and in tracks to leave its registered and to press Play there is an error. MPT it is closed.
It would be better, if MPT simply played silence in the absence of the tool.
2) If to remove any instrument (for example, - 5) from ten. And then to add the tool 11. That sometimes samples 11 replace samples of already available sixth or tenth instrument. :-(

Wish.
Make, please, possibility in General-menu to interchange the position or to delete\add separate channels (not the last, and in the middle...).
Sometimes it is required to insert the new channel, but it is inconvenient to write it to the last. It is easier to arrange it near to any already existing. But thus to correct ALL Patterns it is difficult.

Successes throughout the project!
Yours faithfully, Alex TEHb (Russia).

Saga Musix

Regarding bug 1... Do I understand correctly that you delete an instrument that is still playing, OpenMPT crashes? If that is true, please give more detailed instructions how you do it (e.g. from where do you remove the instrument...), because I cannot reproduce this bug.

Bug 2... I can also not reproduce this. New instruments should not be assigned to samples that are already assigned to other instruments. If you remove instrument 5 and add a new instrument, the new instrument can use the same sample slot as instrument 5, but not of any other instrument.

QuoteSometimes it is required to insert the new channel, but it is inconvenient to write it to the last. It is easier to arrange it near to any already existing. But thus to correct ALL Patterns it is difficult.
You can already add channels in any place you want by right-clicking the channel header (The button that says "Channel x"): http://sagagames.de/ithumb/show/channelheader5791un04.png
Also, you can move channels around using the Channel Manager or by dragging the channel header using the left mouse button.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Alexandr TEHb

Thanks for an explanation about "Moving of channels". I also have forgotten about Chahhel Manager. It is Few in it necessity since mix and melody operational development I do in foreign programs.

Bug 2... It is not stable. It is shown not always. Happens at converting of the old melody written ONLY on samples (format MOD or IT) is more often. After converting samples in instruments, and then at selection of new instrument (replacement converted samples new high-grade instruments, consisting of several samples).

For example: in song is 10 instruments (each of them consists of one converted sample). I replace instrument №3 with another, consisting of 5 samples. One of these 5 samples can rise instead of sample which uses any another instrument (for example, 10).

Bug 1... More in detail:
The melody (But is not reproduced) is loaded.
On the right Patterns (F2) (With other windows works normally).
In the left panel: - melody\Instruments - the right button of the mouse on instrument - to Remove. On a question "to Remove samples" - "YES".
The channel with listing registered instrument remains not touched (i.e. it is written down instrument which is not present).
Or right after it MPT it is closed and shows a file where file Dump is kept(I do not know, how it to attach here), Or for this purpose it is necessary to press any Play.
Errors are not present, if on the right is opened General. Then it is possible not to include Play, and simply to keep Song. After reload such Song works normally. 

Saga Musix

Quote from: Alexandr TEHb on March 27, 2014, 12:10:34
Or right after it MPT it is closed and shows a file where file Dump is kept(I do not know, how it to attach here), Or for this purpose it is necessary to press any Play.
Errors are not present, if on the right is opened General. Then it is possible not to include Play, and simply to keep Song. After reload such Song works normally.
Please compress the memory dump (ZIP, 7Z or RAR) and upload it to the forum by attaching it to a post.

EDIT: I I found the problem and fixed it for the upcoming version. Thanks for pointing it out!

Regarding the other bug, I can see some bad behaviour which is similar to what you describe. Can you confirm that my description matches the bug you mean?
1) Create or load a module with samples only. Let's say, 10 samples.
2) Go to instrument tab, press "new instrument" button. Click "Yes" to convert existing samples to instruments. New instrument count: 11 instruments, the last instrument is empty and is assingned to sample 11 (empty).
3) Go to instrument 3, replace it with a multisample instrument. Its samples are loaded into slots 3, 11 (which was empty but already assigned to instrument 11), 12, ...

Is that the problem you are experiencing?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Alexandr TEHb

Yes. Such problem. But happens that sample occupies not empty again created instrument, and already existing old.

"Please compress the memory dump (ZIP, 7Z or RAR) and upload it to the forum by attaching it to a post".
I badly understand forum rules, and with the dictionary it is even more difficult.
I will try to attach dump-file to this message. Excuse, if it is wrong or not in that section...
Song into archive does not enter (it turns out more 256kb)

Saga Musix

To upload the song, you could downsample and trim all the samples to a few hundred bytes, so that it fits in the 256kb limit. To reproduce the problem, I don't need the full quality samples, just the song "structure".

Alexandr TEHb

Has not understood, how it is possible to reduce the module. Has found the old small. Has removed instrument 8. After that - AutoExit :-(
Dump I attach.
This time has still given out the message:
"Unhandled exeption 0xC0000005 at address 00443087 occoured"

Saga Musix

You don't need to attach memory dumps for the second bug anymore, as said, I was already able to reproduce and fix it.

QuoteHas not understood, how it is possible to reduce the module
For making a test case for bug 2, just trim the original module's samples down, by selecting a large part of the sample and pressing the Delete key. Then give instructions how you were able to reproduce the problem from there.

Alexandr TEHb

Alas, but Bug 2 it is shown not often and MPT thus an error does not give out.
Now I do not have ready module where it was traced. I have corrected them and I do not remember where precisely it happened.
And it looks so:
1) I Replace instrument (Piano)
2) I Play a melody.
3) Piano sounds there where it was required, but thus also one Drum starts to sound, as Piano.
Thus Piano - instrument 5, and Drum - instrument 3.

If an error I will repeat, will try to send to you the module.

Saga Musix

After a few more tries, I can reproduce the problem now. Thanks again for reporting this! Both bugs will be fixed in OpenMPT 1.23.