Plugin Bridge - Alpha Testing Required

Started by Saga Musix, March 17, 2014, 03:51:11

Previous topic - Next topic

jmkz

Here to report issues with KarmaFX Equalizer brided both 32 and 64-bit

Saga Musix

It's only outputting NaNs when run in the bridge process. Not sure what might be done differently there, as really it's basically just a translation layer...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Little update: I managed to save one inter-process call per rendered frame when notes or other MIDI data (i.e. Zxx effects) is being sent to plugins - this should reduce the introduced latency and thus crackling a little bit, at least in theory.

Regarding the KarmaFX issue, I'm in contact with the author to find out what's going wrong.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Before I make a bug report, can someone else try the kirnu arp 32 version. The 64 bits version does not give any error.

http://www.kirnuarp.com/kirnu1/index.html
^^

Saga Musix

Quote from: Rakib on March 30, 2014, 18:44:57
The 64 bits version does not give any error.
Probably because you're not bridging it? ::)
I don't get any error messages, but the plugin simply hangs here. Probably because it's sending MIDI messages to the host, which is something I haven't really tested so far.

J.Ruegg

OK it works now!, Thank you for your great work.
And about multitreading... I normally use a lot of VST instruments, and its a bit difficult sometimes to work well(I normally bypass many instances), but If you don't have time it doesn't matter, Thank you Again!!!

ndelay33

that's great that its finaly 64bit.

but sad to say i get crackling in my tracks if i use 30 notCPUhungry vst's like mda,classic etc. and i dont get that if i use old 32bit version of openmpt. also modifying(or just opening the gui) the plugins makes a crackling effect.
actually i have amd phenom quad core 2.10 so i dont think its the best for 64bits.
audio driver latency is very big - up to 250ms but nothing. probably there is a mess with my PC, it become shitty..
could be the latency beetwen all the pluginbridge instances, like was written few posts back.
attached is what i see when comparing 32 and 64.

big up guys!!! :)

Saga Musix

As explained before, the crackling happens because of the process synchronization and not because of high CPU load. Every bridged plugins adds a lot of latency and thus you will have to increase your latency and probably also update period settings in OpenMPT if you want to use the bridge. Naturally, this doesn't happen with the 32-bit version since it doesn't require a bridge for 32-bit plugins. And to quote the download page:
QuoteThe 32-bit version should run on all systems. Apart from a slight performance increase, there are some situations in which you can benefit from using the 64-bit version if you have an operating system that can run 64-bit programs:
- If you use no plugins, or most of your plugins are available as 64-bit plugins, use the 64-bit version.
- If you need more than 4 GB of RAM for plugins and samples, use the 64-bit version.
Hence: If you use a lot of 32-bit plugins, keep using the 32-bit version.

sso

I use a lot of vst´s and have the latency set to 200 :)

And yes, i notice an improvement. (32 bit version. )

Parts where im using many heavy cpu vsts, used to crackle about 3 times per pattern, now only once, occasionally twice.

Thats though where im using a lot. (around 100.(though mostly low cpu vsts)

Multithreading would rock, but i understand. Probably someone who can and would have use for it themselves, will do it one day.

Saga Musix

You are one of those people that really shouldn't use the plugin bridge. If you use dozens of plugins, you really should use them natively, not bridged.

Rakib

Quote from: Saga Musix on March 30, 2014, 18:54:41
Quote from: Rakib on March 30, 2014, 18:44:57
The 64 bits version does not give any error.
Probably because you're not bridging it? ::)
I don't get any error messages, but the plugin simply hangs here. Probably because it's sending MIDI messages to the host, which is something I haven't really tested so far.

Is this something you could look at?
^^

Saga Musix

You don't want to know how many hours I have already spent trying to fix that one. It's frustrating.
Not sure why this one is a priority for you, though, since there is both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version, meaning that you can use a non-bridged version under all circumstances.

Rakib

Ok just wanted to see if you had looked at it. But dont worry, I'll have 2 instances of modplug together 32/64 bit.
I only asked because I have used this plugins in so many songs and  when you save a preset with this plugin in 32 bit version in doesnt load properly in the 64 bits version. But thanks for trying and I wish you a very nice day.
^^

Saga Musix

It might be worth telling the plugin author that the presets are not interchangeable between the two versions then. Maybe he's not even aware of it and it can be fixed on his side.

Saga Musix

It's been a long time since any considerable changes have been made to the plugin bridge, but I spent the last three days to completely re-architecture it and hopefully fix most problems that resulted in crashes or hangs. So far all tested plugins work for me, including Kirnu which has been observed above as not working.

While a few smaller fixes will also make it into OpenMPT 1.28, the biggest chunk is only available in OpenMPT 1.29.00.28 or later, which can be downloaded from https://builds.openmpt.org/builds/ soon. Please let me know if there is still any trouble with specific plugins.