Many new features in the latest test builds

Started by Diamond, February 25, 2014, 14:40:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Diamond

There seem to be quite a few nice new features in the latest test builds.  Improved note properties dialog, enhancements in the sound card setup tab, redo, previewing of samples/instruments in the file browser dialog, control over note behavior on the samples tab, and possibly others which might not be so obvious.  Very impressive.  Nice work Saga and Manx.

LPChip

Quote from: Diamond on February 25, 2014, 14:40:24
...and possibly others which might not be so obvious.
Such as the improvements in the export dialog, such as flac support, remembering the settings there, improved audio output devices, Jxx effect now working on VSTi's, and more.

But yeah, Saga Musix and Manx are doing a wonderful job!
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

.^o

i agree.
very nice work.
and always more fun for us, users.
respect.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Same here :).

It seriously got better from version 1.22.04.00 (the version i started using first when i noticed OpenMPT).
The export GUI was to be honest all i noticed that changed (am not really intho VSTi's and notice things rather...slow).

But after LPChips and Diamonds posts noticed the other great things and features.

Jojo, and Manx. You two rock 8).
Plus every programmer who previosly worked on OpenMPT.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

sso

Jxx effect? Arpeggio?

I just tried it and cant hear anything?

Are there any other effects that work on Vsti´s?

LPChip

Quote from: sso on February 25, 2014, 22:21:16
Jxx effect? Arpeggio?

I just tried it and cant hear anything?

Are there any other effects that work on Vsti´s?

The Jxx effect only works in testbuilds, but will be available on the next public release.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Just wait until you see the rest of the half-finished features that I have lying around here. :P

Quote from: sso on February 25, 2014, 22:21:16Are there any other effects that work on Vsti´s?
Plenty. Apart from the ones that are implemented specifically for VSTi (such as portamento, vibrato, retrigger, note delays, etc...), you can translate the channel's current volume and panning settings into MIDI macros and pass these values to your plugin in some way (there is no standardized way for this, as every plugin handles volume and panning stuff in its own way). There are plans to have a per-instrument macro system at some point which would automate this for you, so that you don't have to spam your patterns with loads of Zxx effects all the time.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Saga Musix on February 27, 2014, 02:40:32
There are plans to have a per-instrument macro system at some point which would automate this for you, so that you don't have to spam your patterns with loads of Zxx effects all the time.
I don't use loads of Zxx effects all the time. In fact, I use PC's XD But yeah, they're loads.

Saga Musix

PC events cannot access the current volume and panning state of the channel, though, so that misses the point entirely. With Zxx macros, you can already control VSTs based on the current volume and panning, including envelopes, so you can even use instrument envelopes as kind of automation envelope! I just want to make this possible without having to explicitely put MIDI macros everywhere.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Ah so. I never have that problem, because I use Chainer as a mixer shell. Because of that, I can control individual volume and panning through PC's.

Saga Musix

No you can't. Read again what I wrote. Chainer is not a magical tool and won't allow you to access OpenMPT's channel volume and panning settings! You can not use instrument envelopes to control a plugin parameter without Zxx, no matter if you use Chainer or not.

LPChip

Quote from: Saga Musix on February 27, 2014, 13:07:34
No you can't. Read again what I wrote. Chainer is not a magical tool and won't allow you to access OpenMPT's channel volume and panning settings! You can not use instrument envelopes to control a plugin parameter without Zxx, no matter if you use Chainer or not.

Yes I cannot do that. But Chainer has its own volume and panning settings that I can access. Because of that, I do not need to access those of OpenMPT. Thats all I wanted to say.

Saga Musix

That still misses the point. What you are doing in Chainer with PC events can already be done the same way in OpenMPT using dry/wet macros. The point is that sending OpenMPT's panning and volume state allows you to make these things much more simple, because you can go back to using your normal vxx and pxx commands with plugins, even volume / panning slides will work, and you can explore completely new ways of automating plugins through envelopes. No need to clog a whole channel with volume/panning PC events or Zxx  effects anymore. That is new, no matter if you use chainer or not.
And the most important thing is (and you can not do this with chainer) that you can also use this volume and panning information to control entirely different aspects of the plugin. For example, you could use some instrument's volume envelope to control some synth's filter cutoff. Or you could control some reverb's room size the same way. It's these things that make the planned system unique.

sso

Thanks for the answers guys and specifically the work.

The work you have done lately and intend to do, nearly has me creaming in my pants with sheer ecstasy and anticipation.

Hah! i remember this one guy that recommended that i ditch trackers and spend 2 million on hardware, 10 years back, but i stubborned on with my tracker work.  Dont like to use anything else but trackers.

Saga Musix

It's the synergy between trackers and hardware that makes it perfect. ;)