Anyone else who makes hip hop with OpenMPT?

Started by HereticBeats, November 23, 2013, 14:31:39

Previous topic - Next topic

HereticBeats

Yo!

I'm new here on the forum.

I've been producing sample-based hip hop semi-professionally since 2007. Now, as a side-project, I have begun using OpenMPT in combination with Audacity in an attempt to simplify my beatmaking process.

Does anyone else here produce sample-based hip hop - and are having good results with it???

Peace!
Hardware: HP Pavilion g7 | M-Audio Audiophile USB + Studiophile BX5a | Numark PT01 USB | Akai MPC2500 SE | Akai S1000 | Akai MPD18

Software: Windows 7 | OpenMPT | Audacity 2 | BeatCleaver | TX16Wx 2 Pro | Poise | E-MU Proteus VX 2 | Novation Bass Station 2 + V-Station 2 | Wusik EVE 3 | FireBird+ 2

HereticBeats

I didn't get much response to this post, but anyways, to any closet boombap sample hip hop beatmakers out there, here's a great boombap beatmaking video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd8l-5m0Ltw

Peace!
Hardware: HP Pavilion g7 | M-Audio Audiophile USB + Studiophile BX5a | Numark PT01 USB | Akai MPC2500 SE | Akai S1000 | Akai MPD18

Software: Windows 7 | OpenMPT | Audacity 2 | BeatCleaver | TX16Wx 2 Pro | Poise | E-MU Proteus VX 2 | Novation Bass Station 2 + V-Station 2 | Wusik EVE 3 | FireBird+ 2

Diamond

I don't do much composing myself, but a couple of possibly useful points to keep in mind for making hip-hop tracks with OpenMPT.
1. The quantize feature makes programming/tapping in beat patterns on-the-fly much simpler and more fun.  It might be an obvious point, but I bring it to your attention because it is a relatively new feature.
2. See my post
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=4814
discussing a couple of nice plugins (specifically LoopDrive), which make synchronizing loop samples to the song tempo much easier.

Saga Musix

Also, this just came to my mind because the video tells you to "browse samples" and uses the standard Windows file dialog for that: If you browse samples a lot, you may also want to get acquainted with the instrument library browser on the left-hand side of the window. It's great for quickly previewing lots of files.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Personally,i do made some hip hop type of music in my free time when boredom hit me. Now,im more for experimenting with different beats and rolls to get beter impressions for Experimental tracks,since my style is mixed and dissonant,mostly.

BTW,the video you found is nice.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).