WAV channels

Started by nervesagent, October 07, 2013, 20:56:49

Previous topic - Next topic

nervesagent

As stated in a reply to this topic
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=2564.0
I would love to see the possibility of using rendered channels and mixdown normal channels to rendered channels.
These special channels would have basic wav editing options, vst effects and envelope automation, and pitch/tempo adjustment...
Sure you would lose the possibility of editing notes etc, but wouldn't this be great for remixing and using those long vocal samples? I always get lost in cutting up long vocals into a lot of samples..
I know you can also render to wav and edit in a different daw but that's not as hands on as adding to a tune in MPT..
I'm thinking it would look something like the attachment..what do you guys think?

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

I like the idea.

The only thing im worrying about is how much of the resolution will be wasted for this extra.
Otherwise,im all for it.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

nervesagent

Quote from: FreezeFlame(Alchemy) on October 07, 2013, 21:32:52
I like the idea.

The only thing im worrying about is how much of the resolution will be wasted for this extra.
Otherwise,im all for it.
Well a workaround for that could be to just open the "channel' in the sample editor (the "channelsample" needs to go somewhere anyway)

Harbinger

It seems we need a new application where this a built-in feature.... :-X

Hmmmm... 8)

nervesagent

Quote from: Harbinger on October 07, 2013, 21:57:40
It seems we need a new application where this a built-in feature.... :-X

Hmmmm... 8)

NOOOOOOOO...
Well another way would be to use a vsti tracker (like reViSiT) and just use a different DAW...  but I am so used to using Modplug tracker and find this a shortcoming (that I'm sure I'll overcome).

nervesagent

It could maybe be implemented simpler... something like this in the sample editor... so it will stretch your sample and cut where you want it (every 16 beats or something)
Our biggest payed trackercompetitor has this option as a plugin:

http://www.renoise.com/tools/rubberband-timestretch-pitch-shift

QuoteThe Rubberband Timestretch/Pitch-shift Tool brings Time Stretching and Pitch Shifting features to the Sample Editor.

Inserts "Timestretch..." and "Pitch Shift..." entries into the Process submenu in the Sample Editor.

Allows the user to make precise time corrections to the samples to match the song tempo, or to create interesting effects like pad instruments from short stab sounds. The program uses open source Rubberband library, Windows and mac binaries, on Linux, the rubberband utility must be installed manually by issuing a command "apt-get install rubberband-cli" or what ever equivalent of your system.

Rubberband is distributed under the terms of GPL and can be downloaded from http://www.breakfastquay.com/rubberband/

Saga Musix

No matter how nice it might be, I don't think including a GPL-licensed library is going to work with our BSD codebase.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

nervesagent

That's too bad...  :(

I guess I could write some .vbs script that could stretch to x * patternlength or something for my purposes based on general mod speed / tempo / bpm using the supplied w32 command line tool.
As soon as I get this I will post my results.

djkurzman

Personally, I've never really considered any tracker as a full studio solution. I've made tons of remixes in IT and MPT, but these always involved chopping up the vocals and guitar recordings into much smaller patterns. Even that was a bit tedious and required the help of some type of decent studio or audio editor (Sonar,Soundforge,etc). For longer recorded parts, I always had better luck rendering separate channels from OMPT and mixing things down in a beefier multi-track sequencer/recorder.

Saga Musix

That said, for the whole "splitting long samples into shorter ones to keep them in sync with patterns" thing, I've recently tried adding some veeeeery simple sample position tracking for jumping around in patterns... It works for non-looped samples whose pitch isn't changed during playback. In this case, it's very simple to calculate how much the sample advances on every row, so in that case it's easy to resume playback when jumping around. For the intended usage (vocal tracks and the like), this is probably more than enough. It's still a big hack, though, so I have no idea when/if it it will make it into production code.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.