[OT] Website brainstorm

Started by Squirrel Havoc, April 23, 2006, 07:15:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

Let me see if I understand everyone. What you are all saying is that:

Design is way less important than content
Keep the design simple and especially not oversaturated with any one thing (images/flash/php/etc, even text).
Make it easy to find what they might be looking for.

Thats much different than my original ideas:

Much visual content without overdoing the file formats, but much HTML/CSS for visuals.
Complex design to give the illusion that I have more stuff there than a few songs and pics.
Dynamic content up the butt with PHP
Thinking hard on flashy design since the content (songs, images, etc) are already done, so spend more time to make it look all snazzy.

So Mister X, being a pro web designer, could you sum up your main philosophy for designing a website in just a few sentences? I mean like any website
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

speed-goddamn-focus

My advice would be to analyze what you don't like about other websites and not do it. You could also analyze what it is that makes you like a particular website, and then do it, tho that method is more difficult.

DavidN

The design of the structure and layout of the site should be simple, but not necessarily the visuals.

Matt Hartman

I just had to guys. SH has one of the best handles, how could a trouble maker like me resist?

[/img]
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

Squirrel Havoc

Hehe that is freaking hillarious! I have to put that on my blog. What did you use to make it?
-

MisterX

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"So Mister X, being a pro web designer, could you sum up your main philosophy for designing a website in just a few sentences? I mean like any website

Lest I delve into another assault on the English language, I think that I should take a pass on this one. ;)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "MisterX"
Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"So Mister X, being a pro web designer, could you sum up your main philosophy for designing a website in just a few sentences? I mean like any website

Lest I delve into another assault on the English language, I think that I should take a pass on this one. ;)

Hmm does that mean my English is horrible, or what?  :?:
-

MisterX

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Hmm does that mean my English is horrible, or what?  :?:

Not at all, I was referring to my own posts, not yours. :)

It's your site, you do whatever you'd like with it.  I love Mr. Hartman's design, you should go with that - ask him for the PSD file. ;)

The "nutshell philosophy" (fitting, for a squirrel) is that a site suits its purpose, so you first have to determine what the purpose is - why anyone would want to visit the site in the first place, and then deliver on these ideas by making it easy for the visitor to find what they expected to find.
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "MisterX"The "nutshell philosophy" (fitting, for a squirrel) is that a site suits its purpose, so you first have to determine what the purpose is - why anyone would want to visit the site in the first place, and then deliver on these ideas by making it easy for the visitor to find what they expected to find.

That one would seem easy to most people, but I don't even know why someone would want to visit my site. I have a guestbook so people can leave comments, but the only people that have ever really left comments are my friends. Some people on the old guestbook I never heard of, were complimenting me on my music, so maybe I could focus more on the music aspect.

The thing is, I want to turn it into Rodent Revenge Studios, still a personal homesite, but more serious (the goffieness is on my Blog), but more than just music, it will have CG, digital photos, programs I have written. If it was just music, that would be easy to design, but since I want to offer a little of every computer hobby I have, it's hard to attract people.

So either I need to think of a way to appeal to everyone, or just pick one thing (music probably) and focus the site on that, and do what I do now, just have one small section called "Other" where I put everything else.

Just a quick question to everyone who is planning on posting here: would you rather see my site as serious/pro, or friendly/goofy? I have always gone with the second, but then I never take anything seriously  :P  :oops:
-

Matt Hartman

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Hehe that is freaking hillarious! I have to put that on my blog. What did you use to make it?

I used Photoshop CS2.

You want the PSD file?

Matt Hartman

Quotewhy anyone would want to visit the site in the first place, and then deliver on these ideas by making it easy for the visitor to find what they expected to find.

This is the question of the century. Once you determine why people would want to visit, you can come up with a solid plan. Obviously, you have to offer something that would peak an interest.

QuoteI don't even know why someone would want to visit my site. I have a guestbook so people can leave comments, but the only people that have ever really left comments are my friends.

I'd say you just eliminated the "personal, homepage" type of site.
Now you're closer to your answer.

QuoteSome people on the old guestbook I never heard of, were complimenting me on my music, so maybe I could focus more on the music aspect.

A place where people can listen to your music and learn more about the person behind the music seems pretty interesting, no?

QuoteThe thing is, I want to turn it into Rodent Revenge Studios, still a personal homesite, but more serious (the goffieness is on my Blog), but more than just music, it will have CG, digital photos, programs I have written. If it was just music, that would be easy to design, but since I want to offer a little of every computer hobby I have, it's hard to attract people.

If done with good execution and tactfully, it is possible to present a lot of various content within one site. My suggestion would be to keep everything relevant. Also, to place links in order of personal importance to you. Once again, build everything with that theme in mind.

QuoteSo either I need to think of a way to appeal to everyone, or just pick one thing (music probably) and focus the site on that, and do what I do now, just have one small section called "Other" where I put everything else.

Dude, you will never, ever appeal to everyone. But what you can do is focus on your target audience. Ask yourself this. What do you want to get out of this site?

Quotewould you rather see my site as serious/pro, or friendly/goofy? I have always gone with the second, but then I never take anything seriously  :P  :oops:

Then if being goofy is who you are, then you probably do it better than being serious. I don't see anyone going to a site that's called, "Rodent Revenge Studios with the premise that they are going to get some serious and conservative information.  Ya know?

Be yourself, because people like me smell pretension a mile away. :)

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Matt Hartman"
Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Hehe that is freaking hillarious! I have to put that on my blog. What did you use to make it?

I used Photoshop CS2.

You want the PSD file?

Yeah that would rock. I'm a GIMP man myself, it's the only program that supports my 1000+ fonts, PSP and photoshop only recognize about 100 of them :( Plus I only have the demos of the 2, so I can't keep using them, but I can export your PSD to PNG or TIFF and open it in GIMP.

About your long post, you've given me a lot to think about. I will try to rethink my stratagy with those thoughts in mind.
-