Small module file size's

Started by FreezeFlame(Alchemy), August 29, 2013, 20:45:30

Previous topic - Next topic

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

At that time,small file size's are not at all neccesary anymore,but i still chose to make an topic regarding exacly that.

Most tracker modules have an file size below 1MB.
And that's where things get messy,if anyone wishing want's to share how effective an module can be kept at low size,please post you're sugestions.

Thank's for reading.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

LPChip

- Don't use too many samples. If you have instruments that have lots of samples, the filesize gets big quickly. Sometimes for quality its necessary.
- If you can use a loop in your sample without sacrificing the sample but make it a lot shorter, then do so. For example a simple bass often can be looped, and on the instrument tab, a volume envelope can be applied to create the same sound as the long sample used to be.
- You can convert sampledata to lower versions, such as 16bit to 8bit, stereo to mono, 44hz to 22hz to 11hz etc. Note that each of these will make that sample twice as small, but also the quality will degrade rapidly. Use with caution and best is to save before applying it, then do it and listen if it sounds good. If not, load your earlier save. (or undo if thats possible).

Basically samples are the biggest elements of a song. Huge patterns with lots and lots of data on it still are probably smaller than your drum samples.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Many samples still sound good at 8-bit, but you may want to keep bass samples and bass drums at 16-bit for better sound (those tend to stick out the most if they're 8-bit). Pick some good headphones, turn up the volume and start converting samples to 8-bit or downsample them until they sound bad. OpenMPT just has a very basic resampler built in, so you may want to play around with a better resampler that allows arbitrary sample rate conversions (not just downsampling and upsampling by a facter of 2) to reduce the sample rate as much as possible.
Also, IT sample compression.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Sorry for the late post.
QuoteMany samples still sound good at 8-bit, but you may want to keep bass samples and bass drums at 16-bit for better sound (those tend to stick out the most if they're 8-bit).
Im actually trying to figure out how to make Bass and Bass Drum samples sound nice in 8 bit(and so far,i did little progress).
The lower the note of the sample is played,the more messier it sounds in 8 bit.That goes for most samples.
Playing them at an acceptable oktave range will wield good results,but its purely depending on what kind of sample is in use.

Thats so far all i can say for now. :)

Saga Musix

One thing is to keep your sample data as loud as possible at all times, which doesn't really work well with percussive samples that fade out at the end (such as bass drums), so one way is to keep them amplified as much as possible and then fade them out using pattern comamands or envelopes.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteOne thing is to keep your sample data as loud as possible at all times, which doesn't really work well with percussive samples that fade out at the end (such as bass drums), so one way is to keep them amplified as much as possible and then fade them out using pattern comamands or envelopes.

That is one way to do it.
Another would be to to use an noise filter,but that can either go totaly wrong or fully ruin the sample.

Other is using MO3.
Still am curious if MO3 is better then XM and IT for compression,so?

Saga Musix

Still am curious if MO3 is better then XM and IT for compression,so?
Of course having any kind of proper compression is better than no compression at all, so how is that even a question?

LPChip

Actually, Old Impulse tracker could compress the samples too, but MO3 does a better job. OpenMPT however does not compress IT modules.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on October 14, 2013, 11:13:05
Actually, Old Impulse tracker could compress the samples too, but MO3 does a better job. OpenMPT however does not compress IT modules.
And again you are writing things that aren't true. Are you even following OpenMPT's development or at least the forums at this point? OpenMPT is able to make use of IT compression since almost a year by now: http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=4961.0
I would very much appreicate if you stopped posting information that's often on the level of where OpenMPT was 10 years ago. A lot of things have changed and you don't really seem to keep up to date with that.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteOf course having any kind of proper compression is better than no compression at all, so how is that even a question?

??? It was never an question.Just an random indirect sugestion.

Besides,i slowly find that OGG Vorbis is better for compressed samples then 8 Bit signed WAV .The only thing that makes 8 bit samples more useful is that with every saved module,the quality doesn't degrade.

Saga Musix

...And that's why any kind of lossy compression (including 8-bit conversion) should be done as the final step, not while working on your composition.

mrvegas

You could just use single cycle samples -- nothing like a 100kb song.

sso

So, what are the main reasons for wanting to keep the file size small? competitions and chiptunes?

(my songs are often 250mb and upwards. :D lol.)

Rakib

^^

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteIts oldsk00l.

You said it :D.But i see some question why i did this topic in the first place...

I'll explain.There are cases in which it can get useful if the songs are kept in small sizes,like in space restricted media,playback(sometimes) and distribution.

Otherwise,it doesn't anymore matter much how large the data is.

To sso: :o 250mb?! Thats really large.Thinking about it,can you top it to 1 GB?