Channel Spliting

Started by FreezeFlame(Alchemy), August 22, 2013, 21:03:14

Previous topic - Next topic

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Not exacly an useful topic,but hardware mixing got my interest this time.
(With spliting and hardawe mixing,i meanth spliting one channel in two or even many more,producing many voices at the price of quality).

How is it possible to produce more channels that surpass the original limits?

IT's got an limit of 127 channels in OpenMPT,is there an posibility getting many more voices without using ''New Note Action''?

If anyone's got an idea,please post it.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Saga Musix

Unless you mix several channels into one sample like in good old 4-channel ProTracker days, no. The 127 channels cannot be increased by decreasing quality, because it's a format limit, not a quality limit.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Quote from: Saga Musix on August 22, 2013, 22:14:04
Unless you mix several channels into one sample like in good old 4-channel ProTracker days

Completely forgot about sampled chords...
Well,if thats so,its dissapointing.

But still,if thats so,how can i create chord samples in OpenMPT?

But can you give me an tip how to compress 16 bit samples to 8 bit ones (nearly lossless) without making them sound disorted?The 8 bit coversion command in OpenMPT is not much of a help (by the way,is it true that .s3m originaly only supported 8 bit samples,not 16 bit ones?).

Saga Musix

QuoteWell,if thats so,its dissapointing.
Err, what exactly is disappointing? 127 channels is not enough for you? Not that I want to brag or anything, but I tend to create fairly complex tunes (pattern-wise, not necessarily melody-wise), among the most complex I see being released these days, and I don't have any problems staying within the original IT limits (64 channels)

QuoteBut still,if thats so,how can i create chord samples in OpenMPT?
Wave Export?

QuoteBut can you give me an tip how to compress 16 bit samples to 8 bit ones (nearly lossless) without making them sound disorted?The 8 bit coversion command in OpenMPT is not much of a help
Err, how do you expect this conversion to work without any quality loss? True, OpenMPT doesn't apply any dithering during this conversion right now, but that won't help much anyway - 8-bit samples are always noisy. Be sure that your sample is normalized before converting it.

Quote(by the way,is it true that .s3m originaly only supported 8 bit samples,not 16 bit ones?).
ScreamTracker 3 itself only supported 8-bit mono samples, but the format itself defines support for 16-bit and stereo samples, so trackers like Impulse Tracker added the ability to make use of 16-bit samples in S3M files. Virtually all programs except for ST3 and other early stuff support this.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

S3M will forever stay my first tracker format that i could handle without much trouble.

Still,thought it might be interesting if channels can be split in two (didn't knew it was format fixed).
Oh,and no,i don't need 127 channels (22 are completely enoght).IT was set as an example,nothing more.
There's just to much to know about tracker formats,its almost like an epic and complex roman.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Some clarity:
With Channel Splitting, i originaly meanth Software and Hardware mixing(like it was done in the old times with the Amiga and PCs with PCM playback support).
Didn't knew why its from the format specific how many channels are going to be available, forgive my foulishness.