Mimic Music Compo

Started by georg, April 15, 2006, 22:47:54

Previous topic - Next topic

georg

I proudly bring you the Mimic Music Competition!

This is a competition in music creation, but unlike a normal contest the aim is not to create the best that you can, but instead to mimic the style of your fellow musicians. That's right! Pick a style of music you'd like to replicate and get to work. In the end your work will be judged on the usual merits like technical complexity and creativity, the more biased and subjective emotional value, and on interpretive qualities of your work. To win you have to compose well, make it pleasant to the listeners ear, AND truly capture the essence of the composer you are going to mimic. How's that for a challenge?

This invitation goes out to every musician reading this as well as regulars from the Modarchive, ModPlug, CTGMusic, Psycledelics, MadTracker and other communities.

To read more visit the website: http://www.inet.hr/~dpekez/mimic-news.html

PS - Now spread the word.

Cheers
georg
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

speed-goddamn-focus

This is so cool I am so in!

Squirrel Havoc

Awww man, I don't even have my own style knocked yet, how can I mimic someone elses?

EDIT: Ah screw it all up the *** with a rubber ****** until its ***** falls off, you can count me in. Just to be in a georg compo again, brings back fond memories of my youth
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Squirrel Havoc

Will the results be anonymous durring judging?
-

Sam_Zen

Ok, here's the first mimic of "Bitches Brew" by Miles Davis. An excerpt of a longer file, made with an analog synth :
Witches' Woe

Squirrel Havoc

You said anything goes, does that mean I can use my bass guitar and not sample it, but capture the audio live and mix it on the computer? Or does it have to be some sort of electronic instrument, becuase I have a korg synth i never used

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to say, what a kick ass idea for a compo. I like compos, but I like when they make you think, thats why I like OHCs so much
-

Snu

oooooh, sounds very cool, i just might do something in the style of chopin...
what are the compo dates tho? i dont see that anywhere on the site (maybe im just blind?).

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Snu"oooooh, sounds very cool, i just might do something in the style of chopin...
what are the compo dates tho? i dont see that anywhere on the site (maybe im just blind?).

You have until Wednesday, May 24th, to submit your entry. (it sayes so on the "entries" page"

georg

The deadline is also in the F.A.Q. I invested at least 23 minutes of my life into writing that thing so at least you could humor me. I have special needs u know.

Squirrel Havoc: You can play your guitar live, or sample parts of it or just do what you like. I really mean it when i write that you're allowed to fart into a mic and make music that way. The challenge is to mimic a style of music, not to use only your leet trax skillz.

Not sure i understand your question about anonimity. If you ask wheter i'll reveal who the actual authors are the anwser is yes. I toyed with that idea but decided against it cos i'm affraid it might add to the confusion, and also because the URL to a song would usually give away the author.

If you ask wheter i will display the way each person voted then the anwser is no. You have my word however that any "fishy" votes will be sent back, and possibly disqualified. And since i'm not the only person receiving the votes i can't rigg them myself.

Thank you for the support and joining.

georg

/*frumple*

I know it's hard but start trackin something. This ain't a x-mas compo.

/end*frumple*

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "georg"/*frumple*

I know it's hard but start trackin something. This ain't a x-mas compo.

/end*frumple*

I'm still trying to think of someone to mimic that I can actually pull off. I can barely pull of Squirrel Havoc music....
-

speed-goddamn-focus

i just got news from the president that anyone not entering the mimic compo will be sent to guantanamo, locked up and tortured regardless of nationality. those who do enter however, the pope informed me, are reserved a gold vip card in heaven.

LPChip

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"i just got news from the president that anyone not entering the mimic compo will be sent to guantanamo, locked up and tortured regardless of nationality. those who do enter however, the pope informed me, are reserved a gold vip card in heaven.

Damn, and I wanted to enter this compo so badly... Its very tempting now not to :lol:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"Damn, and I wanted to enter this compo so badly... Its very tempting now not to :lol:

I'm sure you will enter it badly. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

georg

Fucknuts!

Why'd i have to make such freakishly hard compo....................i can't make anything happen. But thinking about it seems kinda easy.  ::)

I hate music