Player Has Clicking

Started by corlenbelspar, February 03, 2013, 04:10:27

Previous topic - Next topic

corlenbelspar

I have an NES style triangle wave for an instrument and every time a new note plays and the duplicate action is set to note cut, there is this god awful clicking sound.  Any other options don't have nearly as much clicking, but it's still present.  It doesn't happen in the game I use the music file in so I know it's the OpenMPT player.  People want me to make a downloadable OST for the game it's for and making it via OpenMPT sounds like the easiest option that I would go with if it weren't for that god awful clicking.  I tried sample ramping which says in the options it's supposed to stop clicking and it doesn't do a bit of good to prevent the clicks.

elPatrixF

Maybe you could make sure your triangle wave looks like this:

And not like this.

It happenned to me once that the ticking sound was caused by that.

If not, you could try checking "compatible playback" if it's not

Or you can also set the instrument to note off instead of note cut and make a two point volume envelope (both points right next to each other, the first at max volume, and the other at zero) with a sustain loop in the first point, so that the sound silences a little less abruptly (I'm guessing here that the tick is caused by the sample being cut).

Another idea is to use pitch bending to avoid the sample from cutting (and the tick as well) but it would have as a result some undesired portamento. :P
Check out https://soundcloud.com/elpatrixf/ or http://www.youtube.com/elpatrixf for more music!
Thanks for listening!

corlenbelspar

Actually unchecking more compatible impulse tracker playback seems to have fixed it.  Thanks for pointing that out to me.  ;D  I wasn't able to avoid SC4 effects which cut notes because I wanted to emulate the NES as closely as possible and the triangle channel has no volume setting, it's either on or off.

elPatrixF

Quote from: corlenbelspar on February 03, 2013, 04:50:15
Actually unchecking more compatible impulse tracker playback seems to have fixed it.  Thanks for pointing that out to me.  ;D  I wasn't able to avoid SC4 effects which cut notes because I wanted to emulate the NES as closely as possible and the triangle channel has no volume setting, it's either on or off.
Yeah, I am well aware of that ;D

But I think that even the original nes can have those click sounds as well if you listen closely :P
Check out https://soundcloud.com/elpatrixf/ or http://www.youtube.com/elpatrixf for more music!
Thanks for listening!

corlenbelspar

It actually does if you do certain things but I don't feel like being THAT meticulous.  :P

Saga Musix

Quote from: corlenbelspar on February 03, 2013, 04:50:15
Actually unchecking more compatible impulse tracker playback seems to have fixed it
You should never do that unless you know exactly what you are doing (i.e. you have read and understood the chapter in the manual about it)! In this case, it's the difference between SCx stopping the sound (like the ^^^ note) in compatible mode versus setting the volume to 0 in non-compatible mode. In the latter case, the volume is smoothly faded to zero volume, so that is not exactly what you want if you say that the NES has no volume control on the triangle channel and you want to emulate it as closely as possible. In that case, you should rely on the "poppy" behaviour of ^^^ and SCx, since it's simply in the nature of sound processing that there will be a click if you stop a sample abruptly. When playing your IT file in another player, they will all use the compatible behaviour and not OpenMPT's old, non-compatible behaviour.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

I should add that the clicking with "IT compatible" SCx was actually a bug and will be gone in the next version. Just like ^^^, it shouldn't click anymore.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.