Ogg compression, enhancing sound?

Started by rewbs, April 14, 2006, 09:26:20

Previous topic - Next topic

rewbs

This post was based on a finding from another topic. You can view this topic here.

Thanks!

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Converted to OGG it even sounds better.
You mean that conceptually, right? Or does it somehow actually sound better re compressed as ogg? :)

LPChip

Quote from: "rewbs"Thanks!

You mean that conceptually, right? Or does it somehow actually sound better re compressed as ogg? :)

Usually it does, because OGG reconstructs the higher ends. Some people find this reconstruction annoying because it makes it sound unreal or so... I find it quite pleasant.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "rewbs"Thanks!

Usually it does, because OGG reconstructs the higher ends. Some people find this reconstruction annoying because it makes it sound unreal or so... I find it quite pleasant.

Hmm.. Do you have any more info on that (in particular a source)? Because, from the official ogg vorbis FAQ:

"At best, the result will be an Ogg file that sounds the same as your original MP3, but it is most likely that the resulting file will sound worse than your original MP3."

And that makes sense to me. It would be very strange if the Ogg Vorbis compression algorithm purposefully coloured the sound. Maybe it's accidentally distorting the sound in a way which makes you think the high end has more presence? Bear in mind this is a 192-256kbps VBR MP3 - when I compressed to 128kbps mp3 from the original there was very audible distortion, so 128kbps ogg may well be distorted too. Interestingly the vbr mp3 compression algorithm hardly dropped below 250kbps, so maybe I have some hard-to-encode frequency combinations in there. :)

LPChip

I'm splitting this into a new topic, cus its kinda poluting another topic :p

As far as I know, Ogg tries to reconstruct the higher ends. Especially with low compression settings, this is quite noticable. Take a lq wav file, and compress with ogg, you'll see that the higher ends are being enhanced. (very noticable on snare drum samples)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "rewbs"Interestingly the vbr mp3 compression algorithm hardly dropped below 250kbps, so maybe I have some hard-to-encode frequency combinations in there. :)
With that much distortion it would be strange if you hadn't ;)

qbg

Quote from: "LPChip"I'm splitting this into a new topic, cus its kinda poluting another topic :p

As far as I know, Ogg tries to reconstruct the higher ends. Especially with low compression settings, this is quite noticable. Take a lq wav file, and compress with ogg, you'll see that the higher ends are being enhanced. (very noticable on snare drum samples)
Vorbis also goes to noise if there is not enough information also (meaning it can sound better than others when the bitrate is too low)
I hope to gain some ModPlug Tracker skills someday...

Sam_Zen

I have no idea if this is conceptually, this is just an observation from practice.
But don't get too focused on the default idea abou 'quality of sound'.
Most people would say that a mp3 sounds 'the same' as a wav-file from an audio-cd. Which isn't true of course, because there is destructive compression involved.

The difference between mp3 and ogg is more in other aspects of sound.
There is more volume 'dynamics' left and the stereo panorama is better.
Besides this, ogg-files have a much larger room for tag-information, and are Open Source.