How do I work with VSTi's?

Started by Kosztya, April 11, 2006, 20:43:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Kosztya

Hello!
My name is Kosztya, I have found this page today.
I have some questins, please help me!

I have been working for more than 10 years with trackers (First tracker was the Pro-tracker in AMIGA computer). I have written a lot of songs.
(Tese are found: www.kosztya.uw.hu   "Plutonium" button   and a green "go" button below the page leads you to the downloads).
Maybe you cannot understand the text because it is written in hungarian language.

My big problem:
For this time I have worked with "wav" sound format, but now I want to work with "plugins"
I am able to load the "plugins" into the "General menu" of ModPlugTracker but there is no any sounds, the tracker desn't want to play it.
What is the problem?

And another problem:
I want to download the OpenMPT from this page, but I am not able to download it!
If I click on a "download link" another page opened...

Please help me!
Important: English is not my mother-language, please use popular english words (if you can do it)

Thank you very much

LPChip

I've split the topic cus it wasn't related in any way in the topic you've posted.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

What is your preferred language?

1. To work with VSTis, OpenMPT is better than old Modplug builds.
What links did you use to try to download OpenMPT? Perhaps you were confused when you were asked to chose a sourceforge mirror. Anyway, here is a direct link to OpenMPT 1.17rc2:
http://jaist.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/modplug/OpenMPT_1.17RC2_generic.zip

2. With OpenMPT, after adding the VSTi to the general tab, go to the instrument tab and create a new instrument.
Under plugin, select your VSTi. You should now be able to play it (almost) like a normal instrument.

There is a lot to learn about using VSTis, but that should be enough to start.

Kosztya

Thanks for your helping!
Most problems is ok!
One of my friend sent me OpenMPTracker, and I use the "plugins".

But there is another problem now: The plugin gives sounds in all channels, but if I want edit it, the special codes of effects are not seen by the plugins!
For example:
  p00 or p64 - left/right - are not recognised
  v00 and other volume effects are not recognised

Perhaps this question is stupid, but very important for me!

Other one: Where I can download the special help file of the Open Modplugtracker? (Older files don't speak of "plugins")

LPChip

All the commands you mention are for samples and not for plugins (VST Instruments)

To use the volume (Vxx) you need to add a note or it wont work.

Example:

C-4 01 v64 will work
--- .. v64 will not work.

Controlling other parameters requires advanced midi macro's (Zxx effect)

If you are just learning to use the tracker, I strongly advice to start with samples first. (samples are wav files that can easilly be loaded and used)

You can use the example song Aryx.s3m to see how it was done.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Kosztya

Thanks!
I know the trackers, and I have written a lot of songs with it!
First time I used Amiga computer.
I have written songs with ModPlugTracker, only I have never used "plugins".
Before some week one of my (hungarian) friend sent me "plugins".

You have written about "Zxx" macros... It is the part of the tracker which is unknown for me.
Have I to edit the special effects to the plugins here (like panning, and so on...)?

After all there is a link, where one of my song can be downloaded:

http://kosztya.uw.hu/0504-heart_of_a_weed.mp3

(I hope it is not wrong link, I am not a big master of the computer.)[/quote]