Does the inverted virtual keyboard bother anyone else?

Started by himhim3240, May 26, 2012, 23:36:09

Previous topic - Next topic

himhim3240

Hi, i've had OpenMPT or Modplug, for over a year now, but, even though its much more capable than my other tracker, I just hate it for the inverted keyboard for composing..
I'm used to low octaves being lower, and high octaves being higher..
z-m = C4-B4 and q-p being C5-E6 ..
90% of the other software I use is ^this way, (does the software let me remap the virtual keyboard?)

Just wondering if anyone else thought this was odd..

Saga Musix

Now that we finally have a manual... I can say RTFM! ;D
OpenMPT's keyboard layout has been fully configurable from the very beginning.
And no, it doesn't bother me - I've been using MPT's default layout since I started using it long ago. There are people who don't like it, but there are plenty of alternatives for them (for example coda's IT-style keymap that comes with the tracker).

But is the keyboard config dialog really that discouraging? I mean, you say you have been using the software for over a year, clearly you must have had a look at the config dialog at least once.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

himhim3240

using isnt exactly the word.. more like, look over once every few months..
EDIT: I feel like an idiot now, i never noticed the more keybinds shortcut.. thanks.. Maybe the update was worth it..

Harbinger

Not only that, when i installed the 1.20 version, it planted a new keybindings and overwrote using my own. (No problem, i just loaded my own set of keybindings and updated for the new features.) But i noticed in the installed default that more keys could be devoted to more notes in the octaves; that is, i was able to access notes A+2 on the PC keys. I believe that answers a FR of old... 8)

Saga Musix

The OpenMPT installer never overwrites your current keyboard configuration. The only reason for the original keyboard configurtion getting lost could be that you uinstalled the previously installed version of OpenMPT and accepting the uninstaller to delete your old configuration, or that you have been switching between a portable and a non-portable installation.

QuoteBut i noticed in the installed default that more keys could be devoted to more notes in the octaves
Huh? A+2 has been the maximum for a long time, and there's no way to go beyond that currently.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

You're right, i checked it again after looking at the .mkb. It just SEEMS like it goes above A+2 because the layout is inverted and doesn't follow the same piano keyboard emulation that mine does...

BTW that was a FR of mine from a long time ago (to go above A+2), so don't forget about it! ;D