Extract Music From Sorry! CD-ROM

Started by Really Weird Person, September 04, 2011, 02:49:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

Does anyone know how to extract the music from files on the Sorry! CD-ROM? I am guessing that it is within the files named midi and oldmidi, respectively, but I am not sure what will extract the audio from those two files. I have found applications that will extract audio from files with a .dat extension, but those are considered invalid. I have the pawns' voice clips, but I would like the music as well.

Notes:
1. The switch hitter is denied for reasons unknown.
2. Yellow is thankful to Shoeless Joe—also for reasons unknown.

Rakib

^^

Really Weird Person

I have tried that before. If I am not mistaken, though, that searches for audio CDs. The Sorry! CD-ROM is not treated by Windows as an audio CD. Another program that I tried is DragonExtractor (or something similar to that) (I don't remember the exact name.). Unfortunately, Sorry! is not in its list of games.

Saga Musix

So far, I had the most luck with extracting game audio by using GAP.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

Hmmm...the name does not seem familiar. Perhaps it will work. If it either looks for audio CDs (like Exact Audio Copy) or does not read files with the dat extension, then it will be of no help. It is worth a try though. It seems that it does read files with the dat extension. Unfortunately, it returned a dialog reading Found no files (or something similar to that). The files that I am trying to extract the music from are midi.dat and oldmidi.dat if that helps you at all. That is where I am guessing that it is (in midi format) based on the filenames. I am guessing that is because there is not a midi plug-in for GAP. Perhaps you know of a place where plug-ins can be downloaded for it with a midi plug-in.

Saga Musix

GAP simply searches for known data chunks in binary files; if the game uses a custom data format, it is unlikely to be found by GAP.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

Hmmm...I am guessing that midi must use a custom format then since GAP didn't load those files.

Really Weird Person

I finally got the music extracted. It is in extended MIDI format (.xmi). What that means (or what RMI is), I am not sure. ModPlug Tracker does not open XMI files, but it apparently does open RMI files (at least, that is one of the formats listed for MIDI). Now, I am trying to convert the files to waveforms. Winamp does it, but at least one of the files is missing data after conversion. Awave Studio converts the files (to include with all of the data as far as I am aware), but some (and possibly all) of them have pitch shifts in them. I contacted FMJ-Software about this, so I will wait for a reply and see if I can get that resolved. Aside from that, I did manage to get the music extracted from the SORRY! CD-ROM—yay!