Midi export question

Started by Blacklight, May 04, 2012, 23:13:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacklight

Is it possible to have the midi export make a separate track for each sample used in a tracker file instead of just assigning the instrument to the note and keeping the same tracks ?
I have an old mod file that I made a long time ago that I'd love to work with in my DAW.  Unfortunately, when I made the MOD, I spread about 8 instruments out into the four tracks. OpenModplug just keeps the four tracks and somehow assigns an instrument to each note making it very time consuming to figure out what notes are what and to re-create the tune with my hardware synths.
If there's no way of doing this, this would be a fantastic thing for a feature request.
Is there any other software that would do what I want to do if OpenModplug won't ?

LPChip

As fas as I know, midi is required to have seperate tracks for each instrument. So it will automatically do this. Have you actually tried to do this?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on May 05, 2012, 10:17:40As fas as I know, midi is required to have seperate tracks for each instrument.
Wrong. There is absolutely no limitation concerning the usage of GM tracks in a MIDI file, you can put as many or as few instruments in one track as you want. What you probably are referring to are MIDI channels, which can indeed only play one instrument at once. But how instruments are assigned to MIDI channels is completely up to the user.

OpenMPT creates a GM track for each mod channel, and that is probably not going to be changed until a full re-write of the MIDI export is going to happen, because I really don't want to dig into that code.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I indeed ment midi channels. Most daws use at least one midi track for a midi channel.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs