Pardon my insolence, VSTI Fork-ish pipedream question?

Started by doveraudio, January 05, 2012, 07:22:35

Previous topic - Next topic

doveraudio

;D

I've been completely unhappy with every sampler i've ever used since openmpt, so, i keep getting this thought, could it be possible to make the instrument and sampler panels in the main host a modplug instrument player vsti, so that other hosts could use those formats too?
I don't know what interface libraries the code would need, but i could do graphics end on some gui work or something.
I'm still really terrible at coding, but i could at least offer my help organizing as well.

Rakib

^^

LPChip

Rabik pointed to the topic that explains how to use OpenMPT as a VSTi. Do note that once you do this, (And its buggy as hell) you basically control an OpenMPT instance from another host.

Since its very buggy and not being actively developed (if at all?) I would suggest another method.

I can agree that a tracker is a great way to use samples, especially when you use their commands in the pattern editor. If you're after just playing wave files, then I would suggest using a VSTi sampleplayer instead of OpenMPT.

I have used .sfz to play samples and I use another one that is more an SF2 player.

I heard very good things about Alchemy VSTi though. Alchemy is like a synth that uses real samples to get even more awesome sounds than you normally get. It uses the same synth possibilities as the modern instruments that have these banks of preset sounds instead of the ability to use your own sounds.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

doveraudio

Im familiar with the vsti version of openmpt, and also the awesome and free alchemy player. I should note that after i posted this i fired up openmpt and was completely amazed at how quick the workflow is for me compared to other hosts.

My main issue is that i really like the sampler and the mapping stuff in openmpt. When i'm faced with layering, i do use other stuff, but if it was itself a vsti, i could use it as part of a layer.
Probably to insane a project to expect someone else to do...

One of my thoughts was that maybe as a fork, it would get extra focus that could be ported back to the main program. As a sampler, those features that need to be repaired or enhanced would stand out more without the shadow of the main program.

Rakib

The best and easiest way to handle this predicament is if modplug had supported rewire, but that is not possible because of the license modplug is released under.  There is Jack, but there are very few programs supporting it.
^^

LPChip

I would switch back to OpenMPT. I'm quite sure OpenMPT can do all the things you can do in the other hosts too.

The only thing I use EnergyXT as host for, is when I record a piano piece, and I play it using my piano. But OpenMPT could even do that too, but its a bit more tedious because you'll need to create the patters before you can record notes to them.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.