incorrect Beats Per Minute (BPM) in ModPlugTracker

Started by skippy, March 23, 2006, 15:58:02

Previous topic - Next topic

skippy

To give my beats a more "funky" feeling i make them using:

Pattern-length 48
Speed 6
BPM 138

I always thought that this would give me 92 BPM.

Why?

138/6=23
23*4=92 BPM

Unfortunaly when importing the beat into Recycle it seems that it's not EXACTLY 92 BPM!!!! It's 92,xxxxxxx (lot of figures behind the comma)

Is there a reason/explanation for this and how can i correct these to make it even????

please help me out!!!

rewbs

There are rounding errors with the default tempo mode (I believe these are partially deliberate to match IT2 speeds). To get exact BPMs set your track to use the accurate tempo mode in the song properties. and just use Txx to set the exact BPM (along with a definition of the number of rows that constitute a beat in your song). No more juggling with pattern length and Axx. I'll write the details on the wiki and post a link here later.

rewbs

I updated the wiki article above with a demo to illustrate Classic and Modern tempo modes. If you've ever been confused about Axx, Txx and their behaviour with different tempo modes, check it out!

yrk

while (1) { fork(); }

hoodie232

What's the ideal setting for "Tempo (bmp)" and "Speed" to make Jungle/Drum n Bass and Hip-Hop beats in MPT?

I always use 156bmp and speed:1. But sometimes I hear the beats are not perfectly looping. Moving a row up it's too short, moving a row down it's too long. Or is this something I have to figure out myself?

LPChip

Quote from: "hoodie232"What's the ideal setting for "Tempo (bmp)" and "Speed" to make Jungle/Drum n Bass and Hip-Hop beats in MPT?

I always use 156bmp and speed:1. But sometimes I hear the beats are not perfectly looping. Moving a row up it's too short, moving a row down it's too long. Or is this something I have to figure out myself?

Wow... thats really fast. According to some math, you'd be at 936 bpm, if atleast 156 is the tempo setting.

If you use speed 6, then the tempo is near what you'd have in Bpm count.

Hiphop is 85bpm and jungle 190 bpm (not defined, but commonly used)

Use the row-highlighting to your advantage, cus it shows you the beat. Also note that jungle isn't that bound to any measure, as its a continous drum flow.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

Quote from: "hoodie232"What's the ideal setting for "Tempo (bmp)" and "Speed" to make Jungle/Drum n Bass and Hip-Hop beats in MPT? [...] But sometimes I hear the beats are not perfectly looping.

Well,  it depends on your loops: you need your song's tempo to correlate with your loops' tempo. If you can figure out the BPM of your loops, switch to the modern tempo mode and set the song's tempo to match the loops' BPM.