[Trance] Back in the Night (mp3, FLAC, AAC, ALAC, ogg)

Started by Inavon, January 03, 2011, 05:24:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Inavon

I had started this song a while back, but stopped after thinking that the idea wasn't very good. Then I found this a half year later and decided to continue it. http://trancefreak.bandcamp.com/track/back-in-the-night
I have no sig—wait, what this?

Saga Musix

Nice tune - the chord progression reminded me very much of wayfinder's "garbage collection"... I'd even say it's identical. :) If I didn't know, I'd think it's a remix!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Inavon

Well.. it's slightly different. I notice that some chord progressions are very common in music, though. For example, VI-VII-i is very common among trance tracks, and I try to refrain from overusing it and its variants, although I find it very easy to build melodies with it. And thanks for showing me "Garbage Collection" (rather strange name, isn't it?). I never thought the EQ sweeping effect could sound so good. I have a lot to learn, and that's what makes music production so fun for me.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on January 04, 2011, 08:59:18
What's VI-VII-i?
A chord progression, in particular:

|G#201......|G#401......|C-501......|D#401...   
|A#201......|A#401......|D-501......|F-401...   
|C-301......|C-501......|D#501......|G-401...   
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on January 04, 2011, 12:00:45
Quote from: LPChip on January 04, 2011, 08:59:18
What's VI-VII-i?
A chord progression, in particular:

|G#201......|G#401......|C-501......|D#401...   
|A#201......|A#401......|D-501......|F-401...   
|C-301......|C-501......|D#501......|G-401...   

I see... Thanks for explaining.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: Trancefreak on January 04, 2011, 04:33:59rather strange name, isn't it?
It's the name of a demo in which the original tune (made with the V2 synth) was used in.

Harbinger

Quote from: Trancefreak on January 04, 2011, 04:33:59... For example, VI-VII-i is very common among trance tracks.

Wow, am i impressed! Someone who understands chords in their technical method!

For those who don't know, chord progressions are often notated relative to their root chord, so that the main chord (say C-major in the key of C) is I, the chord on the fifth (G-major in C) is V, and so on. For minor chords, use lowercase roman numerals -- i, ii, iii, etc. In a Major scale the chromatic chords that can be derived are (going from the root to the seventh): I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - vii (the seventh chord is diminished however). This shows and teaches the young composer that a key is composed of 3 major chords, 3 minor chords, and a diminished chord (which would only be used to "bring in" a major or minor chord. You can apply this understanding to any key, but it's only applicable of course to chromatic systems in Western music. Other musics (from other cultures or musical schools) may use something completely different. But Trance, as stated by TranceFreak, often uses this cadence (VI - VII - i) in their phrases. In his example, that would be Abmaj - Bbmaj - Cm in the key C-minor.

Would love to download this music, but i'm on a public server, and bandcamp is restricted. Can you either create a post also on notonlymusic.com (uncloned's wonderful site) and link it here, or otherwise email me the mp3? We love to listen to other people's EDM.

Inavon

QuoteCan you either create a post also on notonlymusic.com (uncloned's wonderful site) and link it here, or otherwise email me the mp3?

I seem to be having a bit of trouble getting on clones's site, so I think I'll need to email it to you.

QuoteWow, am i impressed! Someone who understands chords in their technical method!

Well, I've been studying music theory. ;-)

uncloned

I had no idea who you were - so I didn't give you upload rights when I registered your account after I checked to see if you were a spammer = I had 2 of those attempt to register the same day.

here are some links for LP

http://smu.edu/totw/function.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_progression

Zaphoid

I was about to explain the theory but looks like clones has it licked.  Anyway I think Trancefreak has a great track here. It grabs my interest instantly but then I'm a trance lover anyway.  I agree it has that wayfinder quality to it but really everything has already been done anyway.  No one has owns a chord progression.  I think this is worth putting in my music collection.   :)

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Good intro. Broad stereo spectrum - we like that. Dark and careful, with traditional layering. Not really dance music as the beat disappears about 1:45 in. The first theme is reprised at about 3:30, but without variation, i found myself losing interest. But the quiet space at about 4:30 gives it a little more emotional context, altho i feel the melodic line sounds uninspired (and for some reason slightly Japanese). The layering down at the end was also well done.
Not good dance music but good background music. Not too distracting even tho the soundspace is BIG.

Barachem

A decent track, good production values.
It's good for an uplifting track, but for me it's a run of the mill track, it doesn't stand out.
Still i'm curious what would happen if you'd venture off the trodden path.

wandering genie

Some days ago I listened to your track. I´m not fond of trance music, so, due to my lacking of knowledge about the genre,  I can not do any interesting critic about the music style. However I appreciate the production, I think it is a fairly well produced track.  :)

Also, I found positive that the topic developed in a conversation about harmony. It is interesting to find electronic musicians who pay attention to harmony    :) I think that a solid base on traditional music can expand the frontiers of elecronic experiments.