Wanted: VST 2.4 / Multi-In/Out plugins

Started by Saga Musix, December 14, 2010, 20:01:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

I have found a way to stop Voxengo SPAN 2 from crashing in OpenMPT and now there are two things to consider:
- Will this fix also help getting other VST 2.4 plugins to work? If you are aware of plugins that crash in OpenMPT when starting playback, let me know.
- Will this fix change the sound of multi-input/output plugins? If you know any plugins that expect more than two input streams or output more than two streams (i.e. more than stereo), let me know as well.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Since there was so much feedback :P I just incorporated the changes into the latest "stuff" build (http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe) - SPAN should work flawlessly now. Now it's up to you guys and gals to see if any plugins that previously didn't work do work now, or if there are any (multichannel) plugins that sound different now.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Hey, you keep working untiredly with modplug!
But wasn't aware before now that Span actually was a free download. But in general, is there a way to find out what version a vst is?
^^

Saga Musix

Quote from: Rakib on December 19, 2010, 13:05:42
But in general, is there a way to find out what version a vst is?
There is, but not directly in OpenMPT. There is code for reading the plugin version, but it is only used for internal logging (when enabling the VST_LOG flag in vstplug.cpp) and this information is not displayed anywhere in the GUI. But I suppose this is not too interesting to know in this case, as I'm mostly interested in plugins that have many inputs/outputs (sadly this is also not visible in the GUI, since anything with more than two in/outputs is called "Stereo") or which previously crashed OpenMPT.

Harbinger

The only multi-I/O VSTi i'm using is the Korg M1 (and WaveStation i guess). I've never routed audio out to different channels and wondered what good your changes would do. IOW, what audio capabilities should we now have if we have multi-out VSTs?

BTW, there should be a logging feature in MPT, accessible via menu (maybe the Help menu), so we can track behaviors and code execution. I use the log in UnrealEdit, for example, to figure out what i'm doing wrong, or what was or wasn't done when i thought i was doing something.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Harbinger on December 21, 2010, 20:10:41what audio capabilities should we now have if we have multi-out VSTs?
At best, the plugin should sound the same as before (i.e. not louder or more quiet), and probably only show two inputs/outputs instead of eight.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: Harbinger on December 21, 2010, 20:10:41
BTW, there should be a logging feature in MPT, accessible via menu (maybe the Help menu), so we can track behaviors and code execution.

Agree.

Saga Musix

Actually, there is a command line switch called /DEBUG, but I think the only place where it is currently being used is the DX effect enumeration.

Saga Musix

Hmm, this looks rather useful in this context: VST Scanner

Saga Musix

Some further work has been put into upgrading the VST code to use the VST 2.4 SDK. This does not mean that VST 2.4 plugins will automagically work perfectly now, but it's a first step in the right direction.

Edit: If you want to try out the latest changes, you can download the new exe at the same URL as always.