Absolute "Stop all"

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), October 14, 2010, 23:03:32

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

When you are using lots of VST effects, reverbs, overdrives etc and VSTI, the "stop" command in pattern editor seems to keep ends of reverbs, distortions etc of last notes played, if they haven't had time to finish naturally.

The result is when you press play, then you hear those ends of notes, even if you restart the song from the beginning...

And more, if you save your song in audio format, you will also hear that sounds in the beginning of the final wav/mp3...

Could there be a real "immediate and absolute stop ALL noises" effect when you press "stop" ?

I think it's like a problem of clearing a buffer or something like that, maybe...

LPChip

This is actually a known issue.

A workaround for you is the following:

When you stopped the song, go to the instrument tab, and play a note shortly. This will open the soundbuffer and it will not close directly after releasing the note, giving the buffer a chance to clear out.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

My solution for this issue was to keep the audio device open all the time, but that's difficult to implement at the time being.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"My solution for this issue was to keep the audio device open all the time, but that's difficult to implement at the time being.

Just curious.

If you play an instrument in the instrument tab, the audio buffer is open too.

Isn't it possible to call a function from there when you press the stop button? (as if an instrument is played and stopped very quickly?)

I suppose this doesn't cope with the ability to emergency stop the sound in case something bad happens... (and the all notes off button doesn't work)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

That has nothing to do with the problem I'm afraid. It's more like that various functions that are used for stopping/resuming audio playback have to be rewritten.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Indeed, the method of playing a short is the one I also had found out to avoid noises when I replay my songs.

But it is really annoying, sometimes, when you have very long reverbs or effects that have to finish.

The best would be to clear the buffer REALLY instantly, I think, so that the sounds are cleared at the very point where you ordered to stop.

But maybe it's easy to say for me, and very much harder to do for coders ;-)

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Raphaël Gesqua"But maybe it's easy to say for me, and very much harder to do for coders ;-)
That is unluckily the problem, especially since we have no real VST expert in the team at the moment. :?

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

I understand, for sure :-)

MPT is already a great program, and his makers should really be proud of it.

Absolutely everyting can be done, with MPT, except one : the video synchro.

When/if this features can, some day, be added, then MPT will not have anything to envy anymore from other big music programs...