[Chiptune] Baseline (.it/.mp3/stream)

Started by LPChip, October 03, 2010, 09:58:05

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I was playing with a synth sound on my yamaha PSR-740 keyboard to try to play a chiptune on it. You do not often hear a chiptune being performed on a keyboard, so I started to play with this.

While I was doing so, I came up with a neat baseline. Its the intro of the song. First it starts higher, then when the drums kick in, it becomes the baseline. I did it like that also on my keyboard (Except for the drums). I found this so cool, yet so hard to play it on the keyboard as a chiptune, that I decided to track the notes and create a chiptune out of it.

The result is this song. This song however has been on my shelf for some time, and recently I decided it still was good enough so I finished the song and made it ready to be released. I started the song about a year ago.

I hope you like the song as much as I do. Any feedback is highly appreciated. :)

IT File: http://files.lpchip.nl/lpchip/LPChip-Baseline.zip (100kb)
Stream/MP3: http://8bc.org/music/LPChip/Baseline/ (6,5mb)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

eurosat7

Amazing :)

The soft and deep basekick is a really nice contrast to the chip tunes.
Maybe you can make the song loopable? ;)

Love .it

LPChip

Glad you like it.

I suppose I could make it loopable. I'll look into it when I have a bit of time.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Tony

Lovely job LpChip! Thanks for making it so I can download the .it file, I cant wait to see how everyone else does it and keep learning, good job! :D

LPChip

You're welcome. :)

I bet you'll be a bit scared when looking at the source. Especially the baseline that sounds so nice is pretty much coded :P (read: has many things going on to create the sound that you hear)

Tony

Yep I am a little bit after seeing it. Its arwsome :D

LPChip

What I do with the baseline is playing a sequence with echo, and I believe I also added some chorus to it. So lots of copies of the same notes.

idylewylde

LP, I've haven't been on this site for some time. I come back and what do I find ... I always liked your style, but Baseline is so extraordinary on so many levels I haven't got the words to cover it.

I can't get it out of my head .. and I like it there :)

LPChip

Thanks idylewylde,

I'm glad to hear that you like it so much. Its funny how this piece originated when I played my Yamaha keyboard. Its the first time I made a chiptune based upon what I played in my keyboard

idylewylde

Music is a natural rythmic occurance driven by a subliminal mood.
Synth is a mathematical quantification driven by a conscious ideal.
You nailed both of them.

Inavon

Nice song. So I see that I'm not the only one who uses too many echo channels :P (don't get me wrong, echo is good, it just sometimes takes up too much space on the screen!) And that's a nice "baseline" you got there. :D The triangle wave makes a really good sub-bass for the harmonic-rich square. And is it just me, or does the lead on channels 13 and 14 sometimes sound like a piano?

I noticed that the instrument on channel 4 with the arpeggio doesn't always match the chord. Your song uses harmonic minor , so the dominant chord in those places would be a V7, or Dominant 7th. Your song is mostly in c# minor, which means that Dom7 have the root G# and contain the note B# (appears as C when tracking). However, the arpeggio makes a B occur, making the chord created with the arpeggio sound weird. So in rows 18 and 50 of each pattern, I changed the J58 to J59, and it matched better. That's just what I hear. I'm not sure if it sounds better to you.
I have no sig—wait, what this?

LPChip

Hi Trancefreak,

Thanks for your comments.

I suppose the chorus I create with channels 13 and 14 can make it sound like a piano sometimes.

As for the arpeggio, Both values can be used. They're just different chords, but the base note is the one the bass plays, so it doesn't really matter. In this song I wanted to set a more negative mood. Your suggestions gives it a more positive mood, which means that if you're in a positive mood, it will sound better. :)

Also note that since the main melody is also played with this negative mood in mind, it will get out of tune if you set it to J59.

mrvegas

LPChip