Custom per pattern timesig / row highlight

Started by Skaven, July 26, 2010, 13:59:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Skaven

Quote from: "Jojo"Well, did you have fun at ASM at least? :lol:
Certainly! Awesome compo entries there, again! Glad to see the scene is still so very alive (even if I'm not). :)

Skaven

Quote from: "Jojo"Hmm.. I'm not quite sure what to do with that Rows per Beat edit control in the main toolbar. It seems so useless to me and it doesn't make much sense to use this together with per-pattern time signatures. Does anyone actually use this feature?
Well, I don't - but that's actually just because I never had any idea what to use them for. They seem greyed out and inaccessible unless the song is playing, and then you can tweak the tempo / TBP / RPB values. I guess they're useful for users who do realtime stuff, such as, recording notes realtime or playing patterns in a live situation?

Saga Musix

The speed/tempo controls are actually a bit useful for quick tweaking, but I don't really use those either. And I personally don't see much use in temporarily changing the RPB value especially since it leads to quite a few hacks or rewriting some of the orderlist code...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Skaven

Quote from: "Jojo"This is working better than expected... The engine was already well prepared for such a feature.
So.. I guess this pattern-specific custom highlight is coming up in the next build? :)

I have just a tiny little comment: maybe you should indicate what the "signature override" does by adding the string "(row highlight)" to the dialogue window. So that people know it only affects the row highlight, and doesn't change the BPM or such.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Skaven"I have just a tiny little comment: maybe you should indicate what the "signature override" does by adding the string "(row highlight)" to the dialogue window. So that people know it only affects the row highlight, and doesn't change the BPM or such.
Well, in modern tempo mode, it actually does that: The module "speed" serves as the "real" BPM value and the duration of a row only depends on the speed and rows per beat values. So changing the RPB from 4 to 8 would actually decrease the duration of a row. So I'm not sure if that hint would make too much sense. (Well, maybe as an addition it would...)

QuoteSo.. I guess this pattern-specific custom highlight is coming up in the next build?
It's now available in the "try-out build" as always. Not an "official" build for spreading, but it should work. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

jmkz

I have tested this. Could you implement this feature without changing the RPB value? is just like "only visual" Meaning that, in a 8 RPB pattern, apply 4 RBP only for visual (for example), unlinking the override custom tme signature. Would it be possible? (a checkbox in Colours tab)

Saga Musix

I don't quite understand the change you request, but the visuals are tightly connected to the playback, so I don't quite understand why you would just want the pattern drawing to be affected.

jmkz

Quote from: "Jojo"[...] but the visuals are tightly connected to the playback[...]

I just want that the override don't cause effects on the playback, just the option of choose linked or not. I need this feature too, but keeping the old mode too.

Saga Musix

The RPB value only affects modern tempo mode, not classic tempo mode. What's the problem? :s

jmkz

Hard to explain, in a whole, apply visually the 4 RPB in an original 8 RPB without this affects in playback, in the modern tempo mode. I am asking for a control, wich enable or disable this.

Saga Musix

I think that would make things just a lot more complicated and wouldn't be too useful. Afterall, the highlighting does indicate rows and measure. That's how's defined in the setup.

jmkz

Quote from: "Jojo"I think that would make things just a lot more complicated and wouldn't be too useful. Afterall, the highlighting does indicate rows and measure. That's how's defined in the setup.

Yes, for that I have found a solution, you can forget it. :)

Skaven

Quote from: "Jojo"
QuoteSo.. I guess this pattern-specific custom highlight is coming up in the next build?
It's now available in the "try-out build" as always. Not an "official" build for spreading, but it should work. :)
Just got the latest test build and tried it out. It works fabulously! :D  Editing the exotically rhythmed patterns is much easier now.

Destroid

Yeah, thanks for this. I was finding time signatures awkward in MPT.