1.17.02.54 Annoying bugs with E-MU ProteusVX/EmulatorX

Started by Maxime, May 23, 2010, 13:08:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxime

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.54 (don't know how to get the most up-to-date versions!)

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): I think so. Did not try these VSTi's with the previous versions.

Description of the bug:
I'm trying, after a long time working with OpenMPT without VSTi's, to enhance my music with higher quality instruments. I've bought Emulator X3 for this purpose, but it has some annoying flaws and strange behavior with OpenMPT:

- the plugin editor window, once opened, can never be closed, either by clicking on the X button or from the plugin's menu bar.

- when playing a song using instruments loaded into this VSTi, switching from one pattern to another does not mute/cut notes still playing from the previous pattern, resulting in many overlaying notes. Whereas when using integrated samples/instruments, notes are always cutoff when switching to another pattern.

- I used to notice some other bugs with this plugin but can't remember anything for the moment.

How often does it happen?: Always.

How to reproduce (step by step description):
As E-MU Emulator X3 is a quite expensive piece of software, you can reproduce the EXACT same problems with Proteus VX, which is available for free from E-MU website:
- Load Proteus VX/Emulator X3 into a free FX slot.
- Bring the properties/edit window: you can't close it now! First bug.
- From this window, load a new sample bank/library (exb files, like those bundled with the software).
- On the right side of the window, click on the 1-16 tab to assign an instrument to one of the 16 MIDI channels available.
- Come back to OpenMPT. Assign the VST to any instrument, with the correct channel.
- Input some notes from the Pattern window on several patterns, using an instrument linked to the VST.
- Play the whole song, and switch to another pattern by clicking on a pattern number from the Pattern bar: if a note was playing, it won't be cut off when switching to another pattern. Second bug.

Please note that I've reproduced these problems on two extremely different platforms:
- My home PC running Windows 7 x64, OpenMPT and Emulator X3 in 32-bit mode (as OpenMPT is 32), using one of my own soundbanks.
- My portable MacBook Pro running Windows XP MCE through Parallels Desktop 4 virtualization software, OpenMPT and Proteus VX using one of the bundled soundbanks.

Complementary information:
I know that Emulator X can be very buggy sometimes (crashes the host...) but these problems only arise with OpenMPT. No problem using it in the same conditions, with the same song, from REAPER (most stable DAW with this plugin), Renoise, SONAR...

BTW, I often see threads about OpenMPT version 1.18, but I can find this version anywhere! Am I a complete idiot, or? I'd love to test the new versions (I suppose I already released some songs made with beta versions...) to check if these bugs are still here.

I'd be very happy to receive help on these particular points. I'm currently testing many DAWs (either free or commercial) from the market to check which one would work better with Emulator X, as it could help me to produce much bigger sounds...

And, to be honest, I'd really love to keep OpenMPT instead of having to switch to a paid tracker product (Renoise) or a sequencer (REAPER) even if these two are VERY good. I'm extremely familiar with MPT's clear interface and I'm unable to compose with anything but trackers...

But these particular problems are heavily preventing me from testing OpenMPT extensively. Hence my request.

Many thanks for your help.
Regards from France,
Maxime

Moved to the bugtracker: http://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=79

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Maxime"
- when playing a song using instruments loaded into this VSTi, switching from one pattern to another does not mute/cut notes still playing from the previous pattern, resulting in many overlaying notes. Whereas when using integrated samples/instruments, notes are always cutoff when switching to another pattern.
known issue with all VSTis. I think I can fix that, though...

QuoteI often see threads about OpenMPT version 1.18, but I can find this version anywhere!
A closer look at the "development forum" wouldn't hurt, although I would currently refrain from using the 1.18 release candidate, since there are at least two known more or less severe bugs in it. I hope that an official version of OpenMPT 1.18 can be released soon to sourceforce.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Maxime

known issue with all VSTis. I think I can fix that, though...
Okay. To be exact, I never noticed this bug before, but my first experiments with VST in OpenMPT were only with effects, not instruments.
Anyway, if it could be fixed, that would be great.

A closer look at the "development forum" wouldn't hurt
He he... I knew that with such a dumb question, I'd receive such an obvious answer! :lol:
But, trust me, I'm sure I made a search into the Developer corner section... don't know why I didn't catch the 1.18 thread, but nevermind. I'll have a look at this new RC. I've noted that it should not be used in production for the moment, thanks for the info.

That said, any clue about the other issue I'm experiencing (VSTi edit/properties window that can't be closed)?
You should note that closing OpenMPT with this window opened leads to an "Error while destroying plugin" exception. But I guess that this message alone isn't very helpful without a stacktrace.

Saga Musix

I currently have no idea why you can't close that Window. Does the plugin try to use its own window, or is it using MPT's default plugin editor window (i.e. the one with the "File / Presets / Info / Options / ..." menu bar)?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Maxime

Ooops, sorry for not replying!
EmulatorX/Proteus VX use MPT's default plugin editor window.

Maxime

Hi,

I've downloaded the latest 1.18.02 RC and the most annoying bug (note cuts when switching to another pattern) has been fixed. Many, many thanks!
I still have to make some more tests, but this release seems to be more reactive than 1.17 while using VST plugins.

However, the other bug I reported is still here: after opening Proteus VX/Emulator X plugin properties window, I can't close it anymore. But I guess that it'll be more difficult to fix, as it seems that you never noticed this strange behavior with other plugins. If it can help you, closing OpenMPT with this plugin still loaded ends with an "Exception in Dispatch(1) (Plugin="EmulatorX")" message...

Thanks!

Saga Musix

Quote from: Maxime on May 23, 2010, 13:08:47
- the plugin editor window, once opened, can never be closed, either by clicking on the X button or from the plugin's menu bar.
It can still be closed by pressing a button that opens the Plugin GUI (f.e. the "Edit" button on the general tab, or the "Plugin" button on the Pattern Tab, or the "Editor" button on the Instrument Tab). I'm not sure what's happening here, but it looks to me like the plugin steals all the window handling messages, so OpenMPT can't respond to them.

Maxime

You're right.

I've just retried opening a project using an instance of EmulatorX, and clicking on a button used to open the Plugin GUI window (eg. the Editor button from the Instrument tab) closes that window.

The Exception message box still appears while closing the main MPT window, though.

Maxime

I saw that you're now using Mantis bug tracker. Great! I've opened a new ticket here, so I'm now closing this topic as indicated on LPChip's sticky.