Recognizing openable files by MPT

Started by Harbinger, March 09, 2010, 16:23:41

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I had the same problem with a simple batch file I programmed.

I moved it elsewhere, and suddenly I couldn't get windows to remember to have it in the Open With list. After I removed the entry from the registry, I could select Open With, and remember, and it was added back to the list.

This is what happens:

When you request the open with list, windows will not show items that do not exist on the system (which can happen if you rename a dir).

When you want to add a program to the open with list, windows thinks to be clever and sees that the program is already on the list, thus not adding it, which will fail of course. You could of course rename the .exe file and it will magically be added to the list, or you can remove the not-working program from the list by diving into the registry and manually remove it. After the program is gone from the open with list, adding it again will work as supposed.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs