problem with param-control-notes

Started by TheEagle, January 07, 2010, 15:37:53

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEagle

Hi everybody.

I thought about the discussion that I had with Mr. Unlconed about natural (or not natural) sounding (vsti)-guitars. I always believed that I have to use a seperate instance of the vsti for every nuance. And I think that the effort is disproportionate to the benefits.

Now I found a text about "param-control-notes" in the German OMPT-wiki. If I understood the text correctly, it seems to be possible to control with these notes the parameters of a vst(i) directly in the pattern-editor, which could be extreme useful and relativly easy to use. Of course, I heard about those "Zxx-macros", but I must confess I did not understand it... :oops:

The problem that I have manifests itself as follows:

After loading a plugin in OMPT I assigned the pc/pcs-notes to the keys '<' and '>'. But now, when I try to insert these notes into the pattern-editor by pressing the keys, nothing happens.

What have I done wrong?

Greetings
TheEagle

Paul Legovitch

Hi,
Param-control notes are only available in the MPTM format, so you may need to first convert your song in mptm.
Now, if you double-click on a note, the note list will open and you can find PC and PCS (at the end of the list).
Imho the problem with PC/PCs is that you can't edit them with the graphic param editor.

As for Zxx and /xx(smooth) commands (IT or MPTM), they're not that hard to use :

1) In your VSTi window, select Info->Macros->SF1:unused (or any empty slot), then turn the knob you want to automate.
Same thing for other knobs in SF2, SF3, ... to assign them.

2) Then in any channel, enter the number of your instrument (01) and SF1 to control the knob you assigned to SF1 (after that you enter the Zxx or /xx values):
... 01 .. SF1
... .. .. /07
... .. .. /09
... .. .. /0B

In the same channel or in another one, you can control the second knob you assigned to SF2 :
... 01 .. SF2
... .. .. /39
... .. .. /37
... .. .. /34

Multiple knobs/parameters can be modified simultaneously.

3) You can set the /xx values with the param editor (Alt+B) or you can also record it live while playing the track :
In your VSTi window, select Options->Record Params, then turn the knobs you assigned (while playing the song), the parameter is recorded in the pattern.
You may have to add manually the instrument number next to SFx and don't forget to uncheck Options->Record Params once you're done.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  :wink:

Saga Musix

Most likely you're not working in MPTM format, which would explain why the "<" and ">" keys (on a German keyboard) don't work. Or maybe you're just not using the latest keymap files and they're not assigned yet? You can always get the latest version of the DE_Jojo keymap on the wiki.

Also, regarding the 3rd method Paul explained, I would like to add that in the next version, when using the MPTM format, this will be a lot easier as param control notes will automatically be used.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

TheEagle

Thank you very much for the quick & detailed answer, Paul I simply forgot that the ".it"-format doesn't work here.... :oops:

TheEagle

Quote from: "Jojo"Most likely you're not working in MPTM format...
Uhmm, yes, you're right. I have already noticed that this was the fault... :oops:

Anyway, I think I will try to go ahead with the pc-notes. zxx-macros seem to be too complicated for me.... :wink:

Saga Musix

especially, zxx macros are a lot more limited.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Paul Legovitch

Quote from: "Jojo"especially, zxx macros are a lot more limited.
They have been doing their job pretty well though and have some good points (like not using the note/instrument/vol data), are they going to be obsolete ?

Quote from: "Jojo"Also, regarding the 3rd method Paul explained, I would like to add that in the next version, when using the MPTM format, this will be a lot easier as param control notes will automatically be used.
That's very good news !  8) I hope the Alt+B param editor will feature PC/PCs as well, although it will requires a minimum 999 pixels high window to be accurate...

TheEagle, In your example you have 2 values 000 and 500 used with linear interpolation ( /\/\/\/ ) : I think more subtle musical expression like bending for guitars or saxophone glissando requires the yet-to-be-released editing capabilities for PC/PCs to draw curves or record live.

TheEagle

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"In your example you have 2 values 000 and 500 used with linear interpolation ( /\/\/\/ ) : I think more subtle musical expression like bending for guitars or saxophone glissando requires the yet-to-be-released editing capabilities for PC/PCs to draw curves or record live.
I agree. It was just trial for me to see how it basically works.
Anyway, again I thank you both for your help and I'm looking forward to the next version of OMPT, so keep on coding, Jojo and all the other devs.....  :D

Saga Musix

Paul: Yes, for controling plugin parameters they're obsolete now, but not for their other purposes.

Paul Legovitch

Quote from: "Jojo"Paul: Yes, for controling plugin parameters they're obsolete now, but not for their other purposes.
So I won't be able to assign vst params to SFx like before ?

Saga Musix

you will, at least for the next few versions. just like assigning VST instruments to channels (as it was done before) is "deprecated", but still possible.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"you will, at least for the next few versions.
Why would it be taken away?

Saga Musix

Well, there is no reason for such plan indeed (at the moment at least), but you can never know what happens in the future.

uncloned

In this sense working with samples is a lot easier since the "humanization" codes are already there and functioning. Pitch bends, vibrato, etc. in the IT native format.

Mr. Eagle - you might have an easier time, in the short run, to use samples of guitar in a more traditional manner. If you need samples I can provide them for you - especially after my finger fully heals.

I already have some useful ones here

http://clones.soonlabel.com/public/cjv-guitar/singlenotes/

and the hi-e dark is the one I was referring to that overcame the format problem. Of course these are available to everyone.

Paul Legovitch

About samples I agree with uncloned, that's why trackers were great in the first place.
You can record one or several notes from your VSTi and create a classic sample-based instrument.

About parameters (sorry for highjacking a bit the thread) : I like SFx control. PC notes do not remember the parameter number, it has to be written in every row. With SFx commands, the same pattern filled with Zxx values can be used several times while inserting other patterns with SFx data that will change the current parameter and instrument affected by these values. I like these tracking possibilities a lot also for easy edition (change one value and all is changed).
Why not make PC 00 000 xxx remember the last parameter used ?