Loop point edit preserve

Started by nobuyuki, January 05, 2010, 06:53:01

Previous topic - Next topic

nobuyuki

This request has to do with editing a sample in the sample editor.  There are many default actions to the loop points that MPT does when you modify the data in a sample.  I request that some of these actions be either changed or configurable.  For example:

1.  When copying and pasting a sample outside of MPT, the loop point is lost entirely.  It would be possible to preserve the number in the sample loop point and disable the loop if the sample is larger than the points specified in the loop.  This would be a simple way to preserve the loop when bringing in samples with no loop metadata.

2.  When editing a sample directly in MPT, the loop's position is preserved even when the sample's size changes from a partial deletion.  I request perhaps adding an option to redefine this behavior instead to move the loop points backwards by X samples where X is the size of the clip deleted before the loop's starting point.  This will allow users to delete leading silence or the stab from a sample without having to start over again on the loop when the sample's position shifts.

Paul Legovitch

Quote from: "nobuyuki"1.  When copying and pasting a sample outside of MPT, the loop point is lost entirely.
Hi, I'd be interested to know which sound editor can paste samples copied from modplug.
I've always been saving/loading samples from modplug to audacity or wavosaur, which allow the loop data to be preserved but copy paste would be faster indeed.

Quote from: "nobuyuki"2. move the loop points backwards by X samples where X is the size of the clip deleted before the loop's starting point.
I believe this is exactly the behaviour found in version 1.17.03.02 (correct me if I'm wrong). In other versions, you can always highlight the part of the sample you want to keep and select trim to preserve the correct loop positions.

Saga Musix

The latter is already done in OpenMPT 1.17.03.02.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "nobuyuki"1.  When copying and pasting a sample outside of MPT, the loop point is lost entirely.  It would be possible to preserve the number in the sample loop point and disable the loop if the sample is larger than the points specified in the loop.  This would be a simple way to preserve the loop when bringing in samples with no loop metadata.
Sample copy/pasting is done like reading and saving WAV files, and without digging deep into the wav loaders (which are also used elsewhere), not much can be done here, so I won't change anything here for now.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

just to answer another question (and because I've found it out a minute ago):
QuoteHi, I'd be interested to know which sound editor can paste samples copied from modplug.
Renoise, for example. Or any wav editor that actually formats the wav data in the header like a standard RIFF WAV file.

Paul Legovitch

Thanks for answering.
I tried to copy paste with Renoise and it works except it doesn't preserve the loop data.
The sample editor of Renoise is very handy to zoom in samples (both horizontally and vertically), I like the way the scrollbar is done, very intuitive.

Saga Musix

Since MPT loop points are recognized in other wave editors, I guess that Renoise uses its own loop point format.