[symphonic rock] Confusing Thoughts II (mp3)

Started by TheEagle, January 01, 2010, 13:34:57

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEagle

Hi & a happy new year everybody.

Today I would like to introduce the second and final part of my symphonic-rock-ballad Confusing Thoughts:

Confusing Thoughts II (No Confusion Anymore)

I hope, you'll like it...

Greetings
TheEagle

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

very nice composition Mr Eagle!!

A lot of dramatic moments and beautiful melodies here.

TheEagle

Thank you both for listen and the comments.

Sam_Zen

Enjoyed ! Quite romantic, in a good sense.

TheEagle

Thank you for your feedback, sam. Glad you like it.

apple-joe

The very nice sound struck me first. As far as I can tell, both the i - VII - VI and the i - VI - VII chord sequences were used in the beginning before a transition-like phase based on i - VI - VII - v - VI... or similar. Then a new progression that lasted for a while. I've listened a few times now, but during the first listen I noticed and liked this particular chord change since it represented some sort of an end of the beginning/something new, the bass and acoustic guitar were introduced and there was the brief i - III - VII movement.

Guitar solo/lead around 3:52. Suited the context, melodic and satisfying to the ear. That said, I reacted to the sound of the solo instrument (i.e. not the note choice). The sound itself is of high quality from what I can tell, but it appeared a little dead, in lack of a better/more precise description. I guess the explanation is that it's a VST instrument and possibilities of defining the sound of individual notes are restricted? Of course, my reaction is probably a result of at least moderately nostalgic tendencies and not being very up to date on newer sounds/developments, I've never really explored VST instruments, but I recall having some issues related to VST based leads.

Approximately 5:35: a rather sudden break. This is only one example of several build ups/slow downs that contribute to a more dynamic song, which is very welcome since the general tonality of the track is quite static. Consciousness about structure/intensity, combined with varied progressions (although based primarily - even exclusively? - on the same tonal center), render the song less monotonous. Straight forward, but efficient ending.

The track's duration exceeds 7 minutes, yet all of which were enjoyable I think. Impressive overall sound, although the guitar lead/solo instrument may have lacked some expressiveness. The (at least apparent) careful focus on song structure certainly decreased the probability of more uninteresting, static music, considering the length.

TheEagle

*wow* Thank you very much for your comment and your detailed analysis, apple-joe.
I really appreciate it....

apple-joe

Quote from: "TheEagle"*wow* Thank you very much for your comment and your detailed analysis, apple-joe.
I really appreciate it....

Thoughts on the VST/lead issue? Are you familiar with the phenomenon or am I out of synch with time (I wouldn't rule it out)? Was my suspicion justified in this particular case, at any rate?

TheEagle

You may have noticed that my English is not very good but I will try to answer your question as good as I can.

All instruments (except the bass) I used in this song are vsti. And I think I know what you mean when you say the lead guitar sounds 'dead'.
When a real guitar player plays a melody again and again, it will never sound always the same. There are always slight variations in playing. I think, the reason for this is, that the player never hit the guitar strings at -exactly- the same point. And this is what I would call "soulful" or "emotional" playing.
And these slight variations that makes the difference between 'vital' or 'dead' guitars-sound cannot be simulated by a vsti. Or better: I never heard about a vsti, that could do this...

I have to say, that I'm not a guitar player. I never learned to play an instrument, so what I mentioned above is just 'guessing' but not 'knowing'.
Maybe Mr Uncloned, as a guitar-player, could explain that further...

EDIT
Almost forgotten: You 're right. When you use a vsti the notes (mostly) cannot be manipulated (volume, pitch, etc.)  in OMPT directly. That's why I prefer not to use a vsti for the bass. I love to let the bass 'slide' here and there, which is not possible (afaik) with a vsti-bass...

uncloned

I think including bends and vibrato in the guitar lead part would help liven it up a bit.

Also.... though one likes to use a bright tone the "format" of the guitar is really evident and like a voice, which also has a "format" a higher guitar pitch can sound unnatural. By using a darker tone this problem can be largely avoided. (example - see my post of Dead Land which uses a home made guitar sample).

I can't find a reference to "format" - it is like a filter that never moves superimposed over the signal no matter what pitch is played / sung.

In any case, on your high lead notes I hear this "format" problem but this is far less important than using bends and vibratos.

But ignore all of this - the composition itself is very good and enjoyable.

psishock

QuoteI think including bends and vibrato in the guitar lead part would help liven it up a bit.
+1

also you can try to mess with "humanizing" on the timing. Those slight timing differences adds up "life", nobody plays with perfect timing in reality, only software can be that accurate all the time. And even non musician ears can pick up that difference and will find the sound artificial.
To be honest, you can mimic almost every move, that the player does with live instruments, but need to think on every single detail that could happen, on the composing phase (even on those stuff that are happening somewhat unintentionally).
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

TheEagle

Quote from: "psishock"To be honest, you can mimic almost every move, that the player does with live instruments, but need to think on every single detail that could happen, on the composing phase (even on those stuff that are happening somewhat unintentionally).

Well, basically you're right. Of course, in order to let the guitar-solo sound more natural, I could have used multiple instances of the guitar vsti and not just one or two, but I think the effort should be manageable.

Quote from: "psishock"And even non musician ears can pick up that difference and will find the sound artificial.
At this point, I have to disagree. I think most people today don't -really- listen to the music, they simply consume it.

An example:
I've published some of my songs within my "social environment" (family, friends, colleagues, etc.) and one of the questions have been asked most frequently was: "When did you learn to play guitar?" It was always a surprise for those people, when I answered (truthful) that the guitars in these songs are just simulated and I never learned to play a real guitar... :wink:

uncloned

you have a choice

Nothing is ever wrong, really

having a non-vibrato guitar lead could be considered a stylistic marker for you

or

you can go for realism - and where you stop is up to you

If you want to imitate my leads I think that bends and vibratos are the minimum

But, as I said, the composition is excellent, so it really is a composer choice, not necessity.

TheEagle

Quote from: "uncloned"If you want to imitate my leads I think that bends and vibratos are the minimum.
Uhmm, I'm sorry Mr Uncloned, maybe I misunderstood what this sentence should tell me...

As I wrote in other topics here in this forum, I like your guitar-sound very much (I really do!) and I like the guitar-sound of Gilmour, Satriani, Vai, Bettencourt and many others as well.
But I never tried to imitate you or anyone else. And I won't do this in the future...