1.17.03.02 Faulty interaction with Ugo's Motion 2.8

Started by Harbinger, November 12, 2009, 16:36:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.3.02

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): No. This we're certain of.

Description of the bug:
Found a bug with 3.02's interaction with the VSTi Motion by Ugo. In any context, pressing the shift key opens the MIDI Mapping dialog, with the VSTi selected in the plugin field. I also noticed that MIDI Learn is active in the dialog.
The MIDI Mapping dialog will open in such a case from every tab, and IN ANY MODULE FORMAT (even MOD, which doesn't allow MIDI Mapping), whenever the shift key is pressed.
During testing, the keymaps were changed (in case of a corrupted keymap file), but the behavior still existed. The behavior did not replicate with other VSTi's, nor with other VSTi's by Ugo. The input, both from the computer keyboard and MIDI keyboard, was disabled on several levels in case of a USB or keyboard error (the MIDI connection was disabled from Windows Audio settings, MIDI Record was turned off, the MIDI keyboard was turned off, Pattern Record was disabled, etc.), but the behavior was still present when pressing the shift key. Interestingly, the behavior is not immediate; you have to enter some notes in the pattern editor to "activate" the bug.
Furthermore, when Motion is loaded into the Chainer VST, the Shift key becomes unusable, as if the key is being hijacked.
The bug was definitely NOT present in .53 or earlier as we composed many tracks with this particular VSTi.

How often does it happen?: Usually always, but triggering the behavior is inconsistent.

How to reproduce (step by step description): Create any track and load Motion 2.8 by Ugo into the track. You may have to use it in a pattern or open the plugin GUI to start the trigger for the bug. Press Shift key in any context on any page. Normally this triggers the bug as described above.

Saga Musix

That sounds pretty much like Rakib's problem, but finally it also occurs with a free VSTi, which makes things a lot easier (I can reproduce it without any problems). Thanks!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Please PLEASE find a way to fix this. I hope it's not a problem internal to the VSTi, otherwise i can't expect it to be fixed. But Motion is my new favorite toy (and Yjana's), but the 3.02 build hates it.  

Saga Musix

Well I do have theoretical fix for it and according to what Relabs said to me, it looks like it's a faulty VSTi implementation (wouldn't be the first thing Ugo's plugins do worng...).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

While the plug seems to do something that is not that common, whether it's faulty or not the way it's handled in OpenMPT is a bug and will be fixed in next release.

Rakib

^^

Harbinger

Yes thanks!

Although i'm not working on any projects, ToB has said she felt it was better to go back to 2.54, as she really loves Motion MORE than 3.02.

Thanks Relab and Jojo for looking at it! :wink:

Saga Musix

Please confirm that this has been fixed in OpenMPT 1.18 release candidate. You can set the thread status to S=C yourself then.

Harbinger

ToB and i both thank you. Hopefully your fix won't cause too many problems with other VSTi's... 8)

Saga Musix

Well, it does screw up with the sliders in Synth1 (which I personally use a lot), but that's not too important for now.

Harbinger

I am re-opening this Bug Report as 1.18.xx has re-introduced this bug, but it apparently shows up occasionally, not always when Shift is pressed with the Motion window open. We are still testing for the conditions that it occurs, possibly having to do with the order in the plugin list, input focus, or certain options set.

If anyone else has this happen, please make your voice heard here while we look for the problem....

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Harbinger"I am re-opening this Bug Report as 1.18.xx has re-introduced this bug, but it apparently shows up occasionally, not always when Shift is pressed with the Motion window open. We are still testing for the conditions that it occurs, possibly having to do with the order in the plugin list, input focus, or certain options set.

If anyone else has this happen, please make your voice heard here while we look for the problem....
It should only happen if the VST window has the focus. if it doesn't, it can't really happen.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Jojo on June 30, 2010, 17:23:33
It should only happen if the VST window has the focus. if it doesn't, it can't really happen.
Bump.

Harbinger

It's true, it only happens when the VSTi window is topmost and you press Shift while you click on a control. (Would still like to still opt out of this behavior, but technically the bug is gone...)

Let's close it...