[other] Caroling on the Darkest Night (mp3)

Started by uncloned, October 31, 2009, 00:05:42

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

here is the latest SoOn release called "Caroling on the Darkest Night"

3:54 in length, 8.9 megabytes

Year: 2009

Album:
serenity

Artist's description:
A tune put together by us for you

bass, rhodes, organ pad, drums, guitar, glockenspiel, bata, quintos, shaker, effects.

The piece is polyrhythmic and polytonal. we suggest you give it a couple spins to hear the association - this is NOT something you hear in the typical rock, pop, dance, or trance tune.

Contributors:
Norm Harris (percussion)
Black_Tiger drum kit
clones stuff

Sonar 8.5
Paulstretch

And Norm explains the details

Here's why I love this: Clones has stretched a very familiar melody (COB) to an unfamiliar, but almost familiar, tune. Have I heard this before? The juxtaposition of these 2 harmonic scales is unfamiliar to me - or is it? Black Tiger has held the universe in place with an unyielding 4/4 kit pattern - ah, terra firma! We placed a very familiar 3/4 glockenspiel pattern on top of a 4/4 metered song. The 3/4 song Carol of the Bells is the quintessential example of a 6 vs. 4 polyrhythm, so to play it against a song in 4/4 meter (i.e., Darkest Night) is cool. But when the 2 songs are lined up so that the 4 pulses of both songs correlate, Carol of the Bells becomes unrecognizable. Plan B: to utilize a cross-over approach, where Carol of the Bells was played in its native 3/4 meter at the same TEMPO as the 4/4 meter of The Darkest Night. Naturally, when different metered songs are played at the same tempo, the notes line up, but the measures don't line up. So the downbeats of COB, which has 6 half note beats per measure, do not always line up with those of The Darkest Night, which has 8 half note beats per measure. The downbeats of both songs only 'cross-over' every once in awhile, after a few measures. But when they do...

streaming
http://www.traxinspace.com/song/44929

Download
http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/caroling-on-the-darkest-night.mp3

Sam_Zen

hm. I'm sorry, maybe I have an offday, but this didn't speak to me.

uncloned

not a problem.

thanks for the listen and comment.