Loop playback between 2 patterns

Started by le_parasite, October 28, 2008, 20:56:32

Previous topic - Next topic

le_parasite

I search for such a request but failed to find anything, if this feature has already been requested, all my apologies.

It would be nice to have be able to play a loop between 2 patterns, in the way modplug proposes to save as wav with the "from position" options in the wave convert interface.

it could be useful to work transition between 2 patterns, or for a chorus made of several pattern etc... It can also help to use the "from position" option of the wave convert menu , you can easily a pattern and its number in the song.

Bxx "position jump" might be a tool to dev. this feature maybe!
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

bvanoudtshoorn

In the meantime, if you set a song playing, you can [Ctrl]-Click on a pattern number to set that as the next pattern to jump to.

le_parasite

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"In the meantime, if you set a song playing, you can [Ctrl]-Click on a pattern number to set that as the next pattern to jump to.

thanks, I know that trick but, while looking for a melody or a riff with a keyboard or a bass guitar as I do, this is not an optimized way of working.

what I do to too, is creating a  double sized pattern where I paste the 2 patterns, it's a loss of time and the opportunity to make a error while pasting ( wrong column, missing elements etc...)
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

Sam_Zen

Of course BvO's workaround is a nice one, but it has to be done manually, so is problematic if one wants to play another instrument at the same time.
But it's useful if one just wants to listen.

Pasting the second pattern trailing the first one in a new double-length pattern, was the first I thought of too.
It has the advantage, that the second pattern doesn't necessary comes from the next pattern in the list.
So the option is more freely, compared to the 'From Position' function, which deals with a succeeding nr of N patterns.
This leads imo to a split of this request.

The most simple form is 'subsequent' patterns, whether 2 or more.
This could be achieved by an extra play-it-back button in the 'Wave Convert' dialog, if the 'From Position' is used.
Quite useful anyway to monitor the result, before rendering the WAV, because some 'Player' settings play a role there too.

Another form is dealing with non-subsequent patterns. So 2 or more patterns with different positions in the list.
'From-to' no longer valid. In this case, it would be nice to be able to select more than one pattern in the list :

Saga Musix

I've added this feature in the latest test version: http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe
Right-clicking an order selection offers the menu entry "Lock Playback to Selection", which will keep the player from escaping this selection. Manually jumping to another pattern will reset this behaviour, but there's also a separate menu entry to unlock playback as well.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

This feature is now officially available in OpenMPT 1.20.03.00.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.