complimentry sample mode to channel mode export

Started by uncloned, October 06, 2009, 18:00:44

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

The export (save as)  to  one file per channel (channel mode) is nice...

BUT that assumes if you want to do a proper mastering you coded your song with one sample per channel

This is not always true.

Back in the 4 and 8 channel days one *had* to put instruments together in the same channel. And I for one never stopped working in that mode. The main reason is that I dislike working with huge number of channels. Also older tunes which could benefit from re-mastering can't without a lot of work.

What I wish is that there was an automated way to solo one instrument and export the wav - solo the next instrument and export the wav - and so on until each instrument was exported into its own file ready for me to import into Sonar to master it.

Thanks for your consideration.

Chris

LPChip

Isn't this already possible?

I know this has been requested before (a long time ago) so I assume that either this request is still there, or it already has been implemented.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

if its implemented then I don't know how to do it.

It is not an option during save as wave

Saga Musix

you can mute / unmute samples / instruments from the tree, if that's any help.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

well....

I'm looking for an automated way to do it.

One could brute force solo channels as well - but per channel output is automated.

One needs to be really motivated to do a per instrument output by hand if you have quite a few instruments.

g

I think this would be even better with an option to group instruments (and channels for that matter). (Jojo: for .mptm of course)

LPChip

I've looked through all the requests (closed and open ones) and I can't find it myself either.

I do know that Skaven was the one who requested this and it triggered a discussion.

The only thing I can think of, is that it must've been posted before the forum crash.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

does that mean the feature can go into the queue?

Sam_Zen

hm. The automated way can have its bottlenecks.
If you want a particular instrument, scattered over several channels, to be gathered into one output,
there's the risk of a strange outcome because every channel can have its own global volume.

I've used the same strategy in those 4-8 days for efficiency reasons. And often still do.
So if I want to achieve this, I'll have to put some work into a dedicated export version of the piece.

2 g : exporting a group of channels already is possible.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "uncloned"does that mean the feature can go into the queue?
It certainly doesn't mean that either Relabs or me are eager to program this ASAP at least...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

That's understood Jojo. Its just good if its on the list.

@ Sam

Well.. I don't see how the export could not represent the way the instrument actually sounds in the module output.

g

Quote from: "uncloned"Well.. I don't see how the export could not represent the way the instrument actually sounds in the module output.
If several instruments are routed to the same plugin, and that plugin is controlled by the characteristics of the input then it will sound different. The most basic example I can think of is a compressor.

@Sam:

I can't seem to find the feature of grouping channels... How does it work?

uncloned

I see, I don't use VST effects. I'm old school.....

Saga Musix

Quote from: "g"
Quote from: "uncloned"Well.. I don't see how the export could not represent the way the instrument actually sounds in the module output.
If several instruments are routed to the same plugin, and that plugin is controlled by the characteristics of the input then it will sound different. The most basic example I can think of is a compressor.

Well, the same problem would occur when using channel mode, though. That's why you could use channel mode (and also instrument mode) for example on a mixed, but not mastered module: Import all channels / instruments and apply compressors, mastering effects and other stuff in an external app.

Sam_Zen

2 g : Export as a whole song, but mute the channels you don't want to be included.

(as uncloned, I'm talking about my non-VST situation)