The $35 2009 SoOn Compo

Started by uncloned, September 25, 2009, 05:55:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"I think a really nice compo would be : create a < 64Ko track with OpenMPT featuring all the effects and settings of the mptm format.

Some of the extra features actually take up so much more extra space that you would be better off with a conventional .IT file (using compatibility export). Well, I actually did a tune in 64k (zipped) for the Evoke 2009 music compo....
http://scene.org/dir.php?dir=%2Fparties%2F2009%2Fevoke09%2Ftinymusic/
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "uncloned"I doubt you know the PMs and emails I have received. I didn't realize how people would try to influence and take the rules out of context. It really has been a frustrating experience.

Also I doubt the 2nd time around would be as successful nor will I have the money to put up for the prize.

Believe me, when I held compos, I had lots of nasty emails.

As for money thing - indeed, I agree. Money as a prize perhaps is not such a good idea.

Sam_Zen

Which one of the 5 files you are refering to ?
And what are the features of mptm which take so much space ?
Is there any list about the differences between mptm and IT ?

Saga Musix

QuoteAnd what are the features of mptm which take so much space ?
Well, the whole instrument extensions and plugins take up "a bit" of space, but they also exist in raped XM and IT files of course.

QuoteIs there any list about the differences between mptm and IT ?
in a nutshell:
- parameter control notes
- multiple sequences
- user-defined tuning
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "uncloned"My apologies to you Nahkranoth as that your entry was pushed out by these duplicates. However blame my inexperience in running something like this. 10 years ago I would not have entered, let alone sponsor, a completion.
Dayum, I had big plans for the prize :(

uncloned

world peace will have to wait another day sorry :oops:

Paul Legovitch

Quote from: "Jojo"Well, I actually did a tune in 64k (zipped) for the Evoke 2009 music compo....
http://scene.org/dir.php?dir=%2Fparties%2F2009%2Fevoke09%2Ftinymusic/
Great track, and easy to understand for learning purpose. Effects can be easily spotted and recognized in the sound : SB0--SBx replay, Qxx retrigger,  channel copy + FEx detuning or Oxx phasing (is it the right word ?).
Always nice to be able to look into other's tracks !

maleek

Uncloned, I know I didn't participate or voted in the compo. But I just wanted to add a thank you and a little something about the hassles of running the compo.

Some people tend to forget their ethics when it comes to money, no matter how little the sum. You did alright! Just relax and know that the community appreciates projects such as these.

About taking the rules out of context I am thinking about the extreme lengths some user agreements go into... My thoughts are these: if someone by purpose interprets rules in a way that wasn't meant the intention of the compo, the compo-admins should be able to just boot said person.

uncloned

Quote from: "maleek"Uncloned, I know I didn't participate or voted in the compo. But I just wanted to add a thank you and a little something about the hassles of running the compo.

My thoughts are these: if someone by purpose interprets rules in a way that wasn't meant the intention of the compo, the compo-admins should be able to just boot said person.

Thank  you for the thumbs up.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"Great track, and easy to understand for learning purpose. Effects can be easily spotted and recognized in the sound : SB0--SBx replay, Qxx retrigger,  channel copy + FEx detuning or Oxx phasing (is it the right word ?).
Always nice to be able to look into other's tracks !
Thanks! I'd actually call Oxx "phase shifting" and FEx "phaser effect".

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "uncloned"world peace will have to wait another day sorry :oops:
You're reading my thoughts :D
[EDIT] Then the world will be dominated by big Turkish family!

uncloned

Nahkranoth

uncloned

If you are going to be dominated by Turks you'll be eating hummus I'd suppose :-)

Stuff is good though. Especially with warm pita bread.

Hey Nahkranoth, what kind of foods are famous in your culture?

Sam_Zen

(Let me emphasize that my observation on the vote results happened to be easy,
because I can recognize Turkish-like names.
If the cheater had been from the UK, it would have been much more difficult to see accomplices.)

Yep, Nahkranoth, do you have recipes with garbanzo beans in the Ukraine ?