The $35 2009 SoOn Compo

Started by uncloned, September 25, 2009, 05:55:05

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

9 hours left to vote!

I'm not sure Tricky will be around for the closing. BUT I will shut off the email address.

The votes will NOT be announced immediately. There needs to be a little time to make sure the votes are counted properly.

Thanks

Chris

uncloned

Voting is now officially closed.

The votes will be tallied and the winners announced.

Please be patient.

And SoOn artists thank everyone, contestants and voters, for participating in this event. We hope you enjoyed it.

Chris

maleek

Good luck to all contestants!

uncloned

this is being recounted - some votes were lost

uncloned

Louigi Verona

I am glad I did not get first, second or third place - there is no way you can transfer money to me through Pay Pal and would I want to waste prize money?

uncloned

Quote from: "uncloned"http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/194/screenshotvotessooncomp.png

the promised screen shot.

From this I have determined that some votes were not counted.

Please be patient as we straighten this out.

Thanks,

Chris

Nahkranoth

I was pretty damn ill, so I spend those voting days in my bed :(
Still can't figure who'd get my votes anyway.
My favourites were tracks by Din and Phaze Zero.

uncloned

Official Results are IN!

First place is Saba Storm by Ozan Yarman

Second place is Freaks we are by dj Alces

Third place is Behind The Sun by solo

All data including the actual email votes for the contest can be found here:

http://2009contest.soonlabel.com/contest/

There were a large number of irregular and duplicate votes - all involving Saba Storm.
However removal of these votes did not change the 1st place position.

The next time I do a contest... IF I do one again, a solution for this will be found.
In the end all votes that followed the requested format needed to be honored.

I will contact the winners for distribution of the prize money.

Chris

My apologies to you Nahkranoth as that your entry was pushed out by these duplicates. However blame my inexperience in running something like this. 10 years ago I would not have entered, let alone sponsor, a completion.

uncloned

And I doubt I'll do this again. While Saba Storm's author didn't cheat by the rules I set out my suspicion is that the people who voted for him didn't listen to any other, or perhaps, any song at all.

Please do not be after me for some change - I have been agonizing over this for a week - as soon as these duplicate votes started to come in - and the author of Saba Storm saw nothing wrong with it - by the rules I set out he was right.

the problem is I made an assumption- that people voting would actually *listen* to what they were voting on.

So let him have the money and whatever prestige. The real winners are the contestants left after Saba Storm and the duplicates are removed.

Louigi Verona

I do not think there is any need to dramatize this. I have held compos myself and I can say these things do happen. Next time just figure out a better way to find a winner. There are actually several good methods available.

This was a good compo which motivated a lot of people to do stuff. A compo from Soon in the future would surely be welcome.

uncloned

I doubt you know the PMs and emails I have received. I didn't realize how people would try to influence and take the rules out of context. It really has been a frustrating experience.

Also I doubt the 2nd time around would be as successful nor will I have the money to put up for the prize.

Rakib

Next time: Have a compo without money in the prize.

The recognition is more than enough if the challenge is interesting.
^^

Paul Legovitch

I thought it was really motivational, thanks a lot for all the trouble !
I love Nahkranoth's entry, and Jikoo's too.
Quote from: "Rakib"Next time: Have a compo without money in the prize.
The recognition is more than enough if the challenge is interesting.
I think a really nice compo would be : create a < 64Ko track with OpenMPT featuring all the effects and settings of the mptm format.
Then the first place winner could have his track added as a demo into the next update of OpenMPT. No money, but good for the ego :wink:

Sam_Zen

Well, this compo was certainly good for the ego of Mr Yarman. He must have a big family..
I read the .RTF file and got quite irritated.
He means that it's 'understandable' to vote for himself ! Disgraceful..

Never mind, it's about the music, and the quality of this compo was pretty high.