Feature Request

Started by Bubblenugget, February 06, 2006, 03:57:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubblenugget

I've noticed since version 1.17RC2, OpenMPT has is support for SDx Qxx and a few other commands with VSTi's.

What I'd really love to able to use with VSTi is Ixx support.

What do we think?

LPChip

Ixy is a Tremor with on and off time, which can be seen as a Gating effect.

Hmm... Am not sure if this is easy to be implemented, but I guess it can be done by setting the volume at 0 on the sound itself...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Bubblenugget

Actually, after thinking about it more, I was thinking it could send a cut and re-key command.  If it were to jump the wet-dry from 100-0% it would kill any echo/reverb that is generated from that VSTi and may even cause pops at each cut point.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to have it effect the base volume from inside the VSTi since the parameters are always different.

Maybe it would be easier to add in a real arpeggio editor for each channel?  Then again, if the Ixy worked with VSTi, it wouldn't be necessary.

I guess that's a tough one.  Oh what to do.

rewbs

QuoteI'm not sure how easy it would be to have it effect the base volume from inside the VSTi since the parameters are always different.
Exactly, so that's not an option. Some VSTis don't even have an internal volume param, and very few respond to the standard volume MIDI CC (in my experience).

QuoteIf it were to jump the wet-dry from 100-0% it...may even cause pops at each cut point
Yes it would, we don't do any ramping on wet/dry yet.
More importantly, it would affect the _whole_ output of the VSTi, not just the notes played on that channel.

So I can't see a good solution, yet. :)
I don't get how arpeggios would help here?

Bubblenugget

Quote from: "rewbs"
QuoteSo I can't see a good solution, yet. :)
I don't get how arpeggios would help here?

I was thinking Arpeggio not so much for the note effects as with a gate control.  I think it's safe to say that IT's original idea of arpeggio was retarded (the 'let's just jiggle the pitch' method).

Back when I was programming more with samples, I used the Ixy parameter all the time.  Of course, VSTIs are sooo much cleaner for synths.

So far the best thing I've thought of is to make each note cut and then retrigger in conjunction with the Ixy.  This would probably be the simplest route.  Of course, I'm not a programmer :)