Updated keymaps

Started by Saga Musix, July 26, 2009, 11:33:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

All keymaps that come with OpenMPT (apart from my own) haven't been updated in years. Since 2006, a bunch of new shortcuts have been added, for example in the sample editor (unsign/invert). It would be nice if the creators of the keymaps could post updated keymaps. Or, in case those aren't around on this forum anymore, someone else who uses this keymap could do this. And of course, if you're using your own keymap, it would be nice if you could post those too. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I'll go through the IT-Keymap when I have some time. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Well, there are at least four new shortcuts in the latest test release (Param Control, Param Control (Smooth), Note Fade, Remove DC Offset). I find it a bit disappointing that there's only one keymap that's being updated frequently (and that's my own keymap - and I'm keeping it up to date note just since I'm a developer!). I believe that quite a lot people are using their own keymaps or have extended the default keymaps by new commands (like those new four commands that got into the latest test release). Really, guys, how about updating that old stuff or submitting new maps?! How about sharing?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Ok dudes, this is really important. I see that there is no interest in updating keymaps or at least sharing them, I wonder what the hell is wrong with you all?!
The next version of OpenMPT will definitely NEED updated keymaps and I've already tried fixing those that are in the extraKeymaps folder myself, but I can't guarantee that my fixes will work on the target keyboards (f.e. swedish keyboards). So, if anyone here is willing to provide a keymap he or she produced (a little explanation about what style it follows and for what keyboard layout it is made for would be nice), just tell me and I'll send you a special version of OpenMPT which you can use to adjust the keymap to the new shortcuts. If you don't, you won't be able to browse the orderlist by using the cursor keys anymore in the next release. :P

It would be nice if some moderator made this topic sticky btw.

<rant> But yeah, I see that disussing intellectual property is a lot more important on this forum than actually providing something useful for the community. </rant>

Paul Legovitch

+1 for sticky topic.

I have no time atm but will be more than happy to share my keymap next week : french laptop (no numeric keypad).

Saga Musix

Well, the task I'm asking for does not take longer than 15 minutes at max, since it's just about adding a few pre-defined shortcuts and having a look at what useful shortcuts could be added to your own keymap. If you say next week and do it next week, that's perfectly okay. But I simply don't get how people can say that they're too busy for something that small and say that they'll do it "when they've got time", "at some point" or whatever and never do it. It's really just a tiny thing that has to be done.

Paul Legovitch

:D
You're right, it's just that my brain is melting due to work/life you know. :x
I can look at it and be back with it sunday or monday. I don't want to provide a silly keymap either since I may have to look at things I don't usually use in OMPT.
Would it be okay ?

Saga Musix

Sure, as I said, if you say me that you can't do it right now but say that you can deliver it within a week, that's perfectly okay. Not that it's urgent, but the past shows very well that "I'll do it when I got time" just doesn't work.

Paul Legovitch

To be accurate I should have said I have no available brain instead of no time. :?

I understand your frustration, [OT] I'm a bit frustrated myself to find that almost nobody else has written tips in the tip request thread[/OT].
Modplug needs more sharing imho.

I use 1.17.03.02, so do you have to send me a special version of OpenMPT ?

Saga Musix

Yes, there are some significant changes (i.e. some very important new shortcuts that replace some shortcuts that were static before), so they definitely have to be mapped. I'll put up a link for the test version later.

LPChip

Still haven't had time :(

topic stickied btw...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

I'll post mine once I've cleaned it up a bit. The two advantages of mine are that it plays well with Windows 7, and that it plays well with Apple keyboards, which don't have an [Insert] key.

Saga Musix

Well uh, do we need "Ready for Win7" stickers for our keymaps just like they exist for monitors, computers and other gear now? :nuts: I, for once, didn't need to make mine "play well" with Win7 :lol:

Saga Musix

The necessity of upgrading every single keymap file has luckily been removed/fixed, but since I only have a German keyboard here, I cannot tell for sure that the orderlist keys work correctly in all cases.

For those who want to upgrade their keymaps (and get them into the official package), please send me a PM and I'll give you more detailed instructions on what you have to do.

Rakib

I know you have asked it about this before, but how do you want it?
Since I don't know notes I have put all the notes in a octave on a single row, making it possible to have 3 octaves ready all the time.

For the other notes I have put where it was place, but I can go trough them and put them in a more logical place and send it to you.

Have norwegian keyboad.
^^