[software] Tape Loops

Started by Louigi Verona, July 07, 2009, 20:07:29

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

Quote from: "LV"ps: I "own" several licensed versions of Ableton which came with hardware - midi keyboards and my soundcard. The version are Light, I am not sure what's missing from them.

full/light comparison list:
http://www.ableton.com/live-le-feature-comparison

Quote from: "in site, they"light:
External VST/AU instrument instances per project = 2
External VST/AU effect instances per project = 2
it gets pretty much useless for any normal producing purposes from here, if you ask me. I have some licensed LE versions from hardware too.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

different story with a hardware synth though :-)

I'm giving serious consideration of trying it

I got Live 6 - but also got an updated LE version with my 88 keystation that I want to take for a ride - I'm talking to my son on how to do this since he is an expert on the software

psishock

Well if you ask me, Ableton Live is one of the most user friendlier, coolest and feature rich sequencer out there, i've tried some stuff on it, i've liked it the most, from the "big ones" (tried almost every each, that are made for PC). Everything is kinda self explaining, had no trouble putting some stuff together with a additional little manual reading. It seems, that the software is ready for any situations. If i would be forced to use any sequencer, this would be my definitive choice, at this point. So i'm encouraging you too, to try it out Uncloned. :)
I've heard some really good stuff about Logic Pro for MAC, but had no chance to try it out. People seems to adore that piece of software too.

Quote from: "uncloned"different story with a hardware synth though :)
:P very true.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

I'm heading to that - later this evening (for me) I think.

And I like your new avatar too!

Sam_Zen

Yep.. key jazz ?

I did a few live performances with OMPT, running patterns, selecting channels, etc.
Then I also used realtime playing on the pc-kb a lot. Producing looping samples.
One can even play chords simultaneously. Of course it's only one active sample at a time.

uncloned

I dunno - FT 2.09 called it key jazz I thought - perhaps the zen of tracking?

Anyway.... I did get the live loop recording to work with Abelton Live

Understand I find the interface immensely frustrating ...

But the proof of concept is posted in Free Music with details

This used Ableton 6 in Demo mode - anyone can do this for free!!! if they have a mic and their voice - or an instrument.

uncloned

Louigi Verona

psishock: yeah. nice list. in other words, the "free" version is actually something you can't really use.

I don't know. I tried out Ableton and found it to be not my cup of tea at all, but I can see why it is so liked by people.

maleek

I like this project. I wasn't actually aware that these kinds of things existed. Since I own a hardware controller maybe Ableton would be interesting to look into eventually, but Tapeloop is quite a raw beauty in itself. I like the unpredictable feel to the looping process. That is potentially very resourceful when trying to evolve musical phrases and even entire scores (as shown in the video).

uncloned

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"psishock: yeah. nice list. in other words, the "free" version is actually something you can't really use.

I disagree and I think my demo provides proof of my assertion.

Sam_Zen

hmm.. Back to Tape Loops. Testing.

Took a very short tick-sample and a longer pattern of 30 secs. The loop adapts ok.
To see if I could loop a complete song, I loaded 8:22. Pressing Play caused a system crash plus reboot.

1. Two modes : Loop and Once. Appear to be only valid before loading the sample.
2. When playing, switching this mode makes no difference in behaviour.
3. Setting the position slider before Play works in Loop mode. In Once mode the slider jumps to start if Play.
4. I don't understand the function of the slider at the top.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"

1. Two modes : Loop and Once. Appear to be only valid before loading the sample.

Sam, this is fixed in the newer version - now you can switch between modes in real time. I also added panning control.

Here's the link. http://www.louigiverona.com/files/tapeloops.zip

Note that during the switch a click may occur, so try to switch either when the sample fades away, so it's not too loud, or when there are a lot of loops playing since the click will simply not be heard.

I am now working on the main feature - ability to group loops and sync them by starting them at once - but this is not very trivial and I am researching various methods.

Louigi Verona

Another important pointer: do NOT, ever, load a sample that is larger than 64 Mb.

All of this are certainly limitations. I think the 64 Mb limit I can fix, but not now, as it will require a little bit of rewriting. I think that 64 Mb is a lot and if you want a longer song - make it, say, 22500 instead of 44100, or find another way to make the sample less in filesize.

Any additional feedback is very welcome.

uncloned

LV - I don't know how difficult VST interface programming is

- if you made your program VST compatible you could trigger it at will from OpenMPT