Ability to select several patterns

Started by Rakib, June 23, 2009, 00:37:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

So it would be easier to remove/move several pattern from the sequenser at the patterns view.
^^

Rakib

Any comments, would it be hard to make this work?
The work flow would be much better this way.
^^

Really Weird Person

I would agree with you 100%, Rakib. In addition to what you mentioned, if done correctly, it would [or at least should] allow copying and pasting of multiple patterns as well (such as pattern strings) (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...)
So, your signature states that, if you insert two circumflex accents (^) next to each other, it makes you blush like crazy? Perhaps you shouldn't do that then. Just a test. ^^ It would appear that it does indeed work.

Rakib

Yes, I want the ability to move a bitter part of a song in a much smoother way than today.

OT: You don't like my signature? I am a humble guy!
^^

Really Weird Person

Nope, it was just a joke based on the fact that it is the blushing emoticon. I just thought that it was kind of funny (in a way). As for the topic itself. Here is my thought. If the pattern amount was increased again (possible, but doubtful), then a feature like this would be vital. A thought that I had is that, if the pattern number were increased to, in my example that I thought of, 1,048,576, then making 472,368 of them using today's version would be a nightmare. And copying 624 patterns in a One Two, Three Four fashion, forget that. You've heard of "Got it!*," well I say to that, "forget it!" Another thought that I had was that the row amount could be increased to, in my example once again, either 65,536 (1,024 patterns:1 pattern) or the aforementioned 1,048,576 (16,384 patterns:1 pattern). At its current stage, the only good things that I can find in the new version (based on what I use the program for), are the fixed pattern name bug (though I do not name my patterns too often) and the fact that it opens MO3 files. That pattern cut is not cool for what I use the program for. In fact, when I look at the situation that I had, I am not sure that the pattern number itself was the problem, but rather the instruments' sizes themselves (which, by the way, did indeed total 1.04 GB).

* Wow, I must have lost my remote again! Hey, Self, hurry up and find that remote and take your turn before the next player starts worrying like crazy and quits! :lol:

Saga Musix

Seriously, jugding from what I've seen your previous "modules" looked like, I highly doubt that OpenMPT is the tool you want to work with. Playing one megasample after another on dozens of patterns is not really what OpenMPT is meant to be used for and I've never seen a module that would really have had problems with the 200+ patterns limitation.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

What would you recommend I use for such a task then? Do note that I like to watch the patterns go by in the list. For example, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... If I used 1,024 row patterns, that would not be doable. Note:  That does not mean that the row count should be reduced to 64 (unless you plan on about, say, multipying .52's pattern count by, oh, about 20 or more! That would make it 1,300,000. The chances of any of my modules having that many patterns would not be very great at all! The hiest one that I can come up with (at least doing two files) is 624 * 757 = 472,368. I suppose that if I multiplied that by 15 (7,085,520), that would be a problem, but, because I use least common multiples, I may not need to do that (though I would with 13, that would be a problematic 6,140,784.) Let's see, what would be the LCM of 472,368 and 15? The answer:  2,361,840, that would still be a problem!

Saga Musix

As you even stated yourself that you were just joining soundtracks of video games: any wave editor can do that. and you can even watch the waveform there, and you don't have to watch empty patterns scrolling by.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

That would probably be great for files that are already in wave format. Most of my file now though are based on other ones and many of the songs are not in wave format and some of them would not work in that format due to large sizes. For example, some of my songs are suites and would probably not be especially good for my hard drive in wave format (the Chex Quest one is a semi-excellent example). The reason why I say semi-excellent is because that suite is already constructed from wave files. That file by itself is 516 MB. Another one would be the One Must Fall 2097 suite. That song, however, is not composed of single wave files. What I mean by that is some parts have all 64 rows filled with a note. That file is 643 KB. In addition, my mind judges lengths based on pattern numbers. For example, I know that Candy Château (a song from Rayman) is 28 patterns at a tempo of 125 and a ticks per row count of 6. I guess that it is just a matter of that I am used to Modplug Tracker and, in my mind, it is like the OQO of the trackers. What I mean by that is this. When I have looked at trackers in the past, none of them have worked for what I use Modplug Tracker for (especially the OpenMPT and [probably] MO3 files.

Rakib

Ok, I think that's enough. But would it be hard to make this thing work?
^^

Saga Musix

Maybe. Copying patterns would require some major rewrite of the clipboard code so I'd rather check the possibility of just duplicating or moving patterns, which could be doable.

Really Weird Person

I suppose that the ability to duplicate an entire pattern row would be the equivalent of copying and pasting it. In that case, go ahead and do that (if you can). Of course, it would probably not do me much good (unless the pattern quantity was increased).

Rakib

Moving several patterns is my main issue, if it would work I'd be very happy.
^^

maleek

I've never thought about it, but moving several patterns at once would make the workflow quicker. And I'm all for a fast workflow. :)

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "maleek"I've never thought about it, but moving several patterns at once would make the workflow quicker. And I'm all for a fast workflow. :)
i agree with that... also duplicate and copy on multiple patterns would be highly appreciated.
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V