Use of General midi reverb as a plugin

Started by AlKa_P, June 06, 2009, 17:21:16

Previous topic - Next topic

AlKa_P

Say, I've been a huge fan of modplug tracker since before the open project started... You should hear the horrible stuff i wrote back then... not really, those songs are really bad.
Right. I seem to have the hardest time just finding standard reverbs like hall, room or studio
I was wondering if the same reverb settings available in the "player" section of the mpt setup could be addressed to single channels instead of a master only for playback.
I have been using VoxengoOldSchoolVerb for percussion and Direct x's waves reverb for most everything els. They work alright but with rythmic cymbals I have a very very hard time with the late reflections just being there too much.
Really, I don't want a plugin with fifteen knobs. thats too labor intensive for me. just rev type, delay, decay, wet/dry, and size.... or even just many rev types and just a wet/dry
uh, Yeah

psishock

Oook, let's see, if i got this right: you have trouble with finetuning the reverb characteristic for hihat-like percussion instruments, but you don't want to mess with the controls or knobs at all, if possible. Finetuning and not messing with controls don't really go together matey. :D
I could recommend you to get a reverb vst with a lot of presets, so you can choose from pre generated controls that suit your needs the most.
Of course, the best would be (for more reasons) if you could drop your lazyness and make those presets -once- with your favorite reverb vst, for your general needs, and load them up at demand. (maybe tweak them sometimes if needed, for more perfect sounding)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

bvanoudtshoorn

For some nice, easy-to-use plugins that have good presets and are easy to tweak when necessary, try the Kjaerhusaudio Classic plugins. They're free, and while they might not have the absolute best quality sound, they're none too shabby. I've had them installed on my computer for a couple of years now, and I still use them occasionally.

Oh, and welcome to the forums! Always good to have more OpenMPT fans around. :)

Saga Musix

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can use the S99 command to turn reverb on, and this is per channel. However, it will always use the reverb method that's been selected on the player tab, so I can't really recommend it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

Nice tip Jojo, i haven't used S99 for ages (only somewhere in IT ages), almost totally forgot that it existed. However the ompt integrated reverb is one of the crapiest that you can get (no offense to the very nice developers :)). Even the DX effects are better, and they are pretty bad too.

Saga Musix

JSYK, S99 is mpt-only (and XMPlay/BASS maybe). It doesn't exist in IT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

hmmm....what that S91 that i've used in IT and only used S99 in old versions of modplug? That sounds more realistic, old memories about this seems to be blur enough. :P Tnx 4 correcting.

Saga Musix

S91 is surround, and that was supported in IT. so yeah, that's more likely.

Exhale

just thought I'd say that I'v been learning as much as I can about the whole vst thing lately by tweaking some of my old songs (from before i know this capability existed) and the vsts have made some of them a world better.

Now I just need to learn more of the language. If I knew what half of those plugins were refering to half of the time I'm sure I'd be making half of each individual song in those things.
:shock:

psishock

Hehe, vst(i)s changed dramatically my way of thinking and my knowledge about producing, a few months after i've tested them. You could end up easily using 100% vsti stuff like me, if you're not careful enough, like Jojo. :D