[electronic] smokers (mp3) charlie

Started by uncloned, May 29, 2009, 03:11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/smokers.mp3

I took a midi performance and added visti and effects and vocals

cubaxd

The woman is laughing as if she had some hemp in her cigarette. And every time somebody seems to be crying of pain, she's laughing even harder. So the whole piece sounds like a bad LSD trip to me, well that's my interpretation. Good work, uncloned!

uncloned

As an ex smoker that sort of stuff went through my mind.
But I guess I had a vivid imagination :-)

Sam_Zen

Talking about imagination.. So far this is about very silly estimations.
Hemp in her cigarette ? The old Indian woman is photoshopped with some filter cigarette with tabacco..
This is ridiculous. Smoking hemp products has nothing to do with a LSD trip whatsoever..

This is my comment, even before I've heard the track..

cubaxd

QuoteHemp in her cigarette ? The old Indian woman is photoshopped with some filter cigarette with tabacco..
This is not a Photoshop forum. I wasn't commenting on the image at all. But I'm catching up on this now by comparing the image with my previous response above.
1) The woman on the photo is not laughing
2) The woman on the photo is not laughing louder when somebody in the piece is crying of pain
3) 42nd Rule of hemp consumption (not really): Never use a filter. I hope the woman on the photo knows that
4) Assumption: The woman on the photo is not representing an Indian, but a chain smoker
5) The photo is not really a photo (my fault ;) )

QuoteSmoking hemp products has nothing to do with a LSD trip whatsoever..
I'm not comparing hemp (my impression of the laughing woman) with an LSD trip (my impression of the piece as a whole).

QuoteThis is my comment, even before I've heard the track..
Yes, hard to believe. Rather unusual for you.

uncloned

do listen to the music - I hope  ::)

Sam_Zen

QuoteRather unusual for you.
Not quite, I was just foolin' around.

First inhale :
Excellent..! Really beebop !!
This is a basic example of what I had in mind with the MUX concept.

uncloned

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the listen, liking and comment!

I can see where this would be MUX - but I don't see beebop

(bebop? ) Unless beebop != bebop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bebop

But the comment got to listening to bebop artists on last fm (parker etc.)

You know - I think jazz was a radical departure from western classical tradition - at least without understanding how jazz came about - I need to look into this more.

You may be interested in knowing that the midi recordings were the same as the ones that produced this with just a touch of editing:

http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3040.0

Sam_Zen

I made an ascii-joke, I meant bebop of course. Expressing a sort of excitement.

Jazz should be added to western culture, not as an escape from classical European tradition.
There's often the complaint about americans lacking historic tradition.
But the John Doe's should be proud of the art of jazz, coming from their country, but they aren't.

Bebop started around 1940, and was an answer from mostly black musicians, seeing their work copied by white bands, making the big bucks.
(This was the 'swing' period with big bands. Glen Miller.)

Musicians like Parker, Monk and Gillespie then started playing things which were very complicated.
Not only every n bars, but every note could mean a chord change.
On top of it they did it often very, very fast.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

No form, no rhythm, no real music (lots of tonal shifting though), plenty of vocal samples. I would like to say it's preachy, but that may be my American bias. Even though i have no sympathy for smokers, Americans especially don't like to be told what to do (or reminded by someone else of their 'bad' behavior.) I'm sure i'm probably being reactionary to the depiction of coughing and social laughing in this track, as if there were some mocking going on by the composer.

But the track IMO isn't all that noteworthy on its own. It just doesn't have a body. That's prob'ly why i think it sounds condescending. But i'm willing to concede i'm way off base here. 8)

Sam_Zen

OT. Hmm. If the non-smoke lobby would get it their way in the future, then it it will not be allowed to smoke during an upload of a forum-post.
Because of the possible damage to the coughing readers..

Hmm. "Americans especially don't like to be told what to do", but they have allowed in some states to a smoking-ban outside in the street or on the beach..

uncloned

Quote from: "Harbinger"Notes as i'm listening:

No form, no rhythm, no real music (lots of tonal shifting though), plenty of vocal samples.

into the breech....

what constitutes "real music" for you??

as for the rest of the comment sounds like you are internalizing this.... therefore I communicated to you - and I claim that a success!    :twisted:

Harbinger

:lol:

Perhaps. Which i was humble about being so critical. That's my motto: "Be ready to be wrong!" :P

(Fortunately that doesn't happen often! :lol: )

PS: Oh and to answer your question, MY definition of "real" music, includes progression of either rhythm, timbre, melody, or chords, AND design (such as stanzas, or sections, or even distinct phrases). However, A. that is admittedly a conservative view (that's me!), and B. that is not to take away the value or the consideration from this work. It carries like drone, but it's too busy to call it that. I would call it  "sonic papier mache." :wink:

----
Oop, sorry didn't mean to ignore you Sam....

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Hmm. "Americans especially don't like to be told what to do", but they have allowed in some states to a smoking-ban outside in the street or on the beach..

"Allowed" is too kind of a word. More like forced.

However, mine is a complicated POV in this matter...(forgive me uncloned for threadjacking!)

The prudent side of me says that habitual smoking is the same as drug abuse -- it's only a milder effect, but it's the same abuse to one's own body.
But the conservative side of me says that people have a right to do stupid things to themselves.
But the prude in me says, "Sure, but no one lives in a vacuum. We affect other people with our behavior, even indirectly."
Then the conservative: "Don't people have a right to self-determinism?"
Prude answer: "While infringing on someone else? Of course not."
Conservative rebuttal: "So who gets to decide who gets to do what? Prudes?"
Prude: "The community can decide. If their prudish, then yes."

And then the 2 right halves of my brain glare at each other, and i hafta take an aspirin.... :lol:

Sam_Zen

Hmm. I could follow Harbinger in this. 'Music' could be seen as something else than just a presented 'soundstructure'.
He calls it progression, so composed changes of some elements are used along the line.
A contradiction in this is the possibility of the author not to change anything at all for a while.
In the electronic days, the word 'real' better can be abandoned.

uncloned

Harbinger - I do believe this qualifies as music by your definition....