[Ambient] 48kb (ogg)

Started by cubaxd, May 06, 2009, 22:09:00

Previous topic - Next topic

cubaxd

This one is completely made with LPChip's 2 compo 2009 samples. No other Samples are used. The only effect used is the "built in" Echo effect.
The file size of the IT is 48kb. If it is allowed and if there are no objections I will post the source file as well. Otherwise I'll do that when the compo is over :)

48kb.ogg (2.5MB)

Sam_Zen

Well, nice trick, cubaxd. After this, I'm heavily dis-encouraged as a co-competitor of this 2009 compo... :P

No matter what moment, but I surely would like to save your source file for my archive, for educational purposes.

bvanoudtshoorn

Nice work, cubaxd -- the percussion work in the second half is particularly good.

LPChip

I actually didn't liked it to much to see this appear while the compo is still ongoing, and I'm not sure if you are actually wanting to compete with this song, but if you are, I am thinking of disqualify you for doing this.

As Sam_Zen points out, it can be discouraged to have something heard, especially since this is a difficult competition.

Please refrain from posting your work while a compo is ongoing if it is related to that compo next time.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

g

nice song, no need to disqualify! be clearer with the rules next time instead ;)

Rakib

Really impressed, this means that I have to work harder for the compo. You got a lot out from the instruments.
^^

cubaxd

So my plan to demoralize you was successful ;) But seriously, while I do like a challenge, I don't like participating in a competition that much.
And since I'm not in, I thought that I post my "contribution" here -- just as an example and I don't believe, I could discourage anybody by doing this. I'm rather hoping the opposite.

Sam_Zen

Well, of course LP got a point, but I was merely joking.
And the compo topic is public, so if anyone likes to try it, outside the competition, I see no problem.

psishock

No need to get angry LP, i was on several sites where people simply showed their test song parts to each other, received feedback, and composed further on. I understand that this is a technical competition, but the source remained close, so it should b alright. I'm totally not a fan too, for posting compo stuff (parts) before the end of the competitions, but if the rules didn't said that it's forbidden, you shouldn't disqualify the man, be reasonable. :)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

KrazyKatz

I say disqualify him! This is too good.

;) J/k of course.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

cubaxd

Thank you very much for your support. For a moment I really thought that I've made a very bad decision.
But luckily most of you are not as conservative in this respect as LPChip.
Please don't get me wrong LP, if I would run a compo, I would perhaps react the same way as you did.
Next time I will not post a related work before the deadline, promised! (especially now that the rules are clear ;) )

Sam_Zen

Well, LP is not conservative afaik, and you did make a bad decision, causing this fuzz.
First rule, no need for written rules yet, is to apply common sense.

cubaxd

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"if anyone likes to try it, outside the competition, I see no problem.
Quote from: "Sam_Zen"and you did make a bad decision, causing this fuzz. First rule, no need for written rules yet, is to apply common sense.
I agree with both of your views

QuoteWell, LP is not conservative afaik
I didn't claim that. I've just mentioned that LP's reaction "in this respect" was conservative (i mean less liberal; compared to that of others). And I admitted, that my reaction would probably have been similar if I would host a compo (but maybe less pessimistic).

My view of common sense, applied to this particular case was: not to disclose the source file until I'm allowed to.
I would even say that LP's "announcement" in the compo's thread ("people are now discouraged") (that's what I meant with "pessimistic"), while the most answers in this thread here don't seem to substantiate this assumption, has more potential to have a negative impact than this tune has, although I believe even this is rather unlikely.
Would it have been much a difference if I had used another wave form and another noise sample (well, with the wisdom of hindsight, I wish I had done so)?
Virtually every instrument in a real chip tune is created with these basic forms. There is a noise and you make some percussion instruments of it. The process of doing this and maybe the result is almost always similar! I'm just talking about instruments here.
And I'm sure, many composers listen to some other tunes with similar conditions to that outlined in a compo's rules before participating, not to become discouraged, but to get some hints or inspiration or whatever.

Sometimes I get the feeling we're making things way more complicated than they actually are.
But to avoid any misunderstandings: Sorry LP, and sorry for any other inconvenience I may have caused by posting this tune :(

LPChip

The biggest reason why I kinda didn't liked to see this, is because the sole idea of this compo is to think about what you can do with the samples. It all seems very limited, and if your song shows a technique that is possible, which most people wouldn't think about, then it becomes less of a "wow" for those that actually did think of that. It can spoil a surprise, if you know what I mean.

Its funny that you actually wanted to accomplish this, but due to the nature of this compo "showing off skills" I see that as spoilerage.

And Sam_Zen's initial reply about discouragement basically tipped my bucket, so to say.

I do accept your appologies though.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

hmm. I didn't want to upset things. So just let's get back to the work :

This piece is heavily depending on the delay repeats in it. So I still wonder how the dry source module looks like..