[DUPE] Automatic de-timing of notes (instrument)!

Started by Waxhead, June 17, 2010, 21:53:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Waxhead

I would like to add a automatic "de-timing" on instrument level. e.g. a notes timing is skewed a little +/- based on a threshold.

The reason for this is that when bands play music for example not everyone is timing their notes perfectly and because of that the music sounds a bit more "natural". So if you where able to make modplug play some notes just a little bit to early or a little to late if set to do so in the instrument editor I think that *some* music could actually sound a bit more "lively" ;)

Edit: Duplicate on issue tracker: https://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=853

Rakib

Notedelay?
It's not automatic but it works, SDx.
^^

Waxhead

Quote from: "Rakib"Notedelay?
It's not automatic but it works, SDx.

And it's a lot of work... it's also not "randomized" within a certain threshold ;)

LPChip

Too early certainly is not possible. I already asked for this years ago.

Well, technically, it is possible if you rewrite about 90% of the entire program :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Paul Legovitch

Quote from: "LPChip"Too early certainly is not possible. I already asked for this years ago.
Well, technically, it is possible if you rewrite about 90% of the entire program :P

... though I've managed to put that into Volfx manager. ;)
You're asked to enter your current tick per row value : Axx, and then a number of tick (anything from -xx to +xx) to randomize the delay (before or after the beat).
When the number is negative I simply check if there's a note at the previous row and if not I move the current note to the previous row and add the correct SDx value.
It works and it's very simple, no need to rewrite modplug to implement it, really.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "LPChip"Too early certainly is not possible. I already asked for this years ago.

Not that I would have thought it thoroughly, but I doubt it would be that difficult.

Waxhead

Well if it is possible to make notes appear a little to late it should be quite easy to set all notes to play X milliseconds to late and then randomize +/- based on the selected delay!

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Waxhead"Well if it is possible to make notes appear a little to late it should be quite easy to set all notes to play X milliseconds to late and then randomize +/- based on the selected delay!
And exactly this would introduce an unforseeable delay, to playback, which I would not like very much. This is definitely not going to happen anytime soon, as it would need require a very major rewrite - adding a pattern randomizer seems to be more doable.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Waxhead

Quote from: "Jojo"
Quote from: "Waxhead"Well if it is possible to make notes appear a little to late it should be quite easy to set all notes to play X milliseconds to late and then randomize +/- based on the selected delay!
And exactly this would introduce an unforseeable delay, to playback, which I would not like very much. This is definitely not going to happen anytime soon, as it would need require a very major rewrite - adding a pattern randomizer seems to be more doable.

Yup I never said it wasn't a bad hack ;)

LPChip

Quote from: "Waxhead"
Quote from: "Jojo"

Yup I never said it wasn't a bad hack ;)

I believe I was... :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs